What Are You Watching.....RIGHT NOW!!!!

Watching a documentary about Oppenheimer at the moment on Sky. A fascinating, complex man, responsible for creating the most horrific weapon known to man.

I can't get my head around an asteroid causing an explosion of 40 million Hiroshima's
Well... kinetic energy = mass * velocity squared.

And the asteroid that collided is thought to be even bigger than Mt. Everest. Everest is about 30,000 ft high. This number probably means nothing to you. To put it into context though, I had the opportunity in the USA to visit Denali National Park. The most prominent geographical feature in the park is Mt Denali 20,000 ft high, substantially smaller than Everest. Most of the time in Denali National Park you can't see the mountain due to rain or fog or low-lying clouds. But when you can see it... my God it's awesome. Denali dominates the entire landscape. It's massively, unbelievably huge. And yet, much smaller than the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs.

And then there's velocity to consider. Kinetic energy goes as the square of velocity. So double the velocity isn't double the energy... it's four times the energy. And say, 10x the velocity... well that's 100x the energy.

Cosmic objects can move at tremendous relative velocities... far, far larger than you might think.

Faster than a speeding bullet? You bet!

The asteroid that killed the dinosaurs is thought to have been travelling 20 kilometers per second, which is more than 58 times the speed of sound, or roughly 20 times the speed of a bullet...

Which means that the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs delivered the equivalent of 4.5 billion atomic bombs of the magnitude that leveled Hiroshima in WW2 (not 40 million).
===
What surprises me is that any life at all survived.

What happens is that a massive amount of material is ejected into the atmosphere upon impact, earth plus asteroid. That material rains down on the earth shortly after impact, and, due to friction with the air, burns up. Thing is, so much material is ejected that this phenomenon is global. The entire earth is affected. I can't find the backing data at the moment, but I recall that, more or less, the earth surface was as hot as 300 degrees Fahrenheit or so for a while as the debris reigned down. This would have caused all combustible materials to burn and would have killed any animals on the earth's surface not underground or in a cave or some other sheltered environment.
===
Other longer-term effects killed off even more species due to acid rain, acidification of the oceans, global cooling and a complete blackout of the sun lasting for several years, etc.
===
Amazing that any multicellular life survived.

New Alien on me stick tonight

Just know this square headed Labour **** is comin for our sticks :/

Well... kinetic energy = mass * velocity squared.

And the asteroid that collided is thought to be even bigger than Mt. Everest. Everest is about 30,000 ft high. This number probably means nothing to you. To put it into context though, I had the opportunity in the USA to visit Denali National Park. The most prominent geographical feature in the park is Mt Denali 20,000 ft high, substantially smaller than Everest. Most of the time in Denali National Park you can't see the mountain due to rain or fog or low-lying clouds. But when you can see it... my God it's awesome. Denali dominates the entire landscape. It's massively, unbelievably huge. And yet, much smaller than the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs.

And then there's velocity to consider. Kinetic energy goes as the square of velocity. So double the velocity isn't double the energy... it's four times the energy. And say, 10x the velocity... well that's 100x the energy.

Cosmic objects can move at tremendous relative velocities... far, far larger than you might think.

Faster than a speeding bullet? You bet!

The asteroid that killed the dinosaurs is thought to have been travelling 20 kilometers per second, which is more than 58 times the speed of sound, or roughly 20 times the speed of a bullet...

Which means that the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs delivered the equivalent of 4.5 billion atomic bombs of the magnitude that leveled Hiroshima in WW2 (not 40 million).
===
What surprises me is that any life at all survived.

What happens is that a massive amount of material is ejected into the atmosphere upon impact, earth plus asteroid. That material rains down on the earth shortly after impact, and, due to friction with the air, burns up. Thing is, so much material is ejected that this phenomenon is global. The entire earth is affected. I can't find the backing data at the moment, but I recall that, more or less, the earth surface was as hot as 300 degrees Fahrenheit or so for a while as the debris reigned down. This would have caused all combustible materials to burn and would have killed any animals on the earth's surface not underground or in a cave or some other sheltered environment.
===
Other longer-term effects killed off even more species due to acid rain, acidification of the oceans, global cooling and a complete blackout of the sun lasting for several years, etc.
===
Amazing that any multicellular life survived.
Kinetic energy - one reason why navy ships are being equipped with rail guns that fire shells with just mass and no explosive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.