What colour is Manchester City blue?

I recently did a little carpentry project and decided to paint said project with City colours, had a helluva time picking the right tone

What's the earliest record we have that we were definitely wearing navy socks? I assume there must still be blues alive now who could confirm whether we wore them in the 40s / 50s?
Sky blue and white hoops were typically worn in 50s. There's photographic evidence for many kits - including some cigarette cards (although some are coloured and not necessarily matching) - and descriptions at time. I do know City wore navy blue with a couple of white hoops in 1890s based on a description, but many images of dark socks have been recorded as navy by modern day writers and do not match what was believed at the time. I think people have often assumed navy when it may well be black. That historical kits site for example shows socks of predominantly navy in late 1940s when other images from that period (and coloured in that period) show predominantly sky blue socks with a much smaller amount of black (or navy). It's an area that needs a lot of research (I'm trying to catch every reference at the moment but it'll take some time).

before the advent of synthetic fibres for clothing/bedding, nearly everything was cotton based and white. A hint of blue, almost imperceptible, made white "seem" whiter, a dolly blue was a small cloth bag with a small wooden peg, containing a blue dye. As this was before washing machines (in the UK), I have no idea when the dolly blue was added to the dolly tub and then attacked with a three-legged posser . zzzzz

For me, the true 'City blue' is the deeper sky blue seen throughout the 70s. As much as I love the new shirt, it still doesn't get close to that colour tbh; whether it's similar to the sky blue of the 60s is for other, older blues to say I guess.

It seems that no matter who produces our kits, the shade of blue opted for is either too light; an insipid, wishy-washy blue; or too dark; the 'lazer blue'.
This one for me

I remember the Dolly blues shouts from when I started going as a kid in the 60s, my first kit as a kid was an Umbro shirt, before the days of official replicas c 68. It was lighter than the early 70s one, and I do prefer that shade. To me the proper socks are the maroon topped ones with two white hoops.

All in all it’s down to personal taste usually driven by first memories...I don’t mind what the home kits are like, bar one thing, I hate sky blue shorts, makes us look like Coventry.

As to away kits, I used to love the red and black stripes, but now we are trying to be genuine chimps league contenders, big mal’s mimicking of Milan made us look small time.

As I said paletone 284c 80% tint

tint_of_colour_lighter_pallete.jpg

https://www.cam.ac.uk/brand-resources/guidelines/typography-and-colour/palette-and-text-legibility

Interesting… going on that, I see our true colour as somewhere between 80% and 60%.
Of course when we say sky blue, that's a nonsense, if you take even one second to think about it. The sky is all kinds of blues, in different seasons, and on different days, and at different hours. Even when it's cloudless.
It's also notorious that people don't actually see colours in the same way. They're culturally inflected. And there are differences between individuals.
I always hated the laser blue, myself. It just wasn't us at all.
Whatever it is, I'm proud of the fact that, to my knowledge, we're the only team in the league, apart from Coventry City, to wear it.

As a side issue, to what extent do people feel kit colour has a bearing on field?

Has wearing a very non-aggressive colour stopped us from winning as much as if we’d worn, say bright red (spit!) or striking yellow and black stripes?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.