WHAT DO WE NEED

christened at st marks

I find myself wanting to assess where we are, so I will compare our team to the top four and the rags. Would they have played or been in the squad for 30 games this season. On current form

TOP 4 RAGS
GIVEN Ybench Y bench
RICHARDS Y Y
ONOUHA Y Y
DUNNE N N
BRIDGE Y N
KOMPANY N N
DE JONG Y N
ZAB N N
IRELAND Y Y
SWP Y N
BELEMY N N
ELANO Y N
ROBINHO Y Y
PETROV N N

HUGHES N N

Note I consider Richards getting back to last years form In the last 2 games

WE NEED TO CHALLENGE
MANAGER 1
CB 1
LB 1
HM 1
AM 1
STRIKER 2
7 WORLD CLASS PLAYERS AND A MANAGER

christen at St Marks said:
I find myself wanting to assess where we are, so I will compare our team to the top four and the rags. Would they have played or been in the squad for 30 games this season. On current form

TOP 4 RAGS
GIVEN Ybench Y bench
RICHARDS Y Y
ONOUHA Y Y
DUNNE N N
BRIDGE Y N
KOMPANY N N
DE JONG Y N
ZAB N N
IRELAND Y Y
SWP Y N
BELEMY N N
ELANO Y N
ROBINHO Y Y
PETROV N N

HUGHES N N

Note I consider Richards getting back to last years form In the last 2 games

WE NEED TO CHALLENGE
MANAGER 1
CB 1
LB 1
HM 1
AM 1
STRIKER 2
7 WORLD CLASS PLAYERS AND A MANAGER

All seems pretty logical to me.

we need a forward who offers pace and strength and can hold the ball up and alsoplay in behind the oppositions defence......or two forwards and at least one that offers that......

boj.....plus 2-3 others (id keep sturrridge but it looks like he doesnt want to stay)....sell the rest...so at least 2 forwards

we need a right winger as cover for swp.....

a top quality centre half

a box to box midfielder (Jonno looks like he could have real problems with this recurring injury he has.....though i was thinking that didnt Gerrard suffer like this at the start of his career????)

and PATIENCE from the fans!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm too tired to go into depth with what I think we need, but a desperate need is a true box to box midfielder in the mould of an Essien sort of player. In my book, a player like that would replace one of the two DM's in midfield. Even as good as Ireland has been for us this season, we are very much lacking a true link up player of that sort. It was our complete downfall today. We had more then enough ball, but as Ireland had an off day De Jong and Kompany spent all day basically passing the ball backwards as there was simply no decent link up (And not enough movement up forward) available.

Finding a player to fit the mould will be hard to do. That and at least one, if not a couple of quality Centre forwards and at least one top notch CB.

a central midfielder who is good with the ball. having two strictly defensive midfielders seems a bit negative as kompany and de jong offer nothing going forward, and i know that isn't their job but look at liverpool. they play the same system as us, but with one DM to do the dirty work, and a ball player next to him. Xavi Alonso next to De Jong with Ireland in front of them could be awesome. I'm not a massive fan of Kompany and De Jong together because they're so defensive, I like Zabaleta in that role because he shows some attacking ambition whilst not neglecting his defensive duties but he's probably not good enough technically for that position

blue dallas said:
3 or 4 world class strikers.

we've been playing 2 years now without any.

fully agree

the onyl one int he whole squad worth keeping at rpesent is boj and we are not even sure if he will be able to do the business in the prem

simon23 said:
blue dallas said:
3 or 4 world class strikers.

we've been playing 2 years now without any.

fully agree

the onyl one int he whole squad worth keeping at rpesent is boj and we are not even sure if he will be able to do the business in the prem
to be honest i dont think boj is world class.

toni
villa
and lavezzi would be 3 nice signings

mcs said:
I'm too tired to go into depth with what I think we need, but a desperate need is a true box to box midfielder in the mould of an Essien sort of player. In my book, a player like that would replace one of the two DM's in midfield. Even as good as Ireland has been for us this season, we are very much lacking a true link up player of that sort. It was our complete downfall today. We had more then enough ball, but as Ireland had an off day De Jong and Kompany spent all day basically passing the ball backwards as there was simply no decent link up (And not enough movement up forward) available.

Finding a player to fit the mould will be hard to do. That and at least one, if not a couple of quality Centre forwards and at least one top notch CB.

Spot on - I have been saying the exact same thing.

All of our midfield players are either defensive or attacking - we don't have anyone who can do both and until we get someone we will have to endure days like today. Lots of pretty passing but no end product.

We need to get some physical stature in the side as well. Barring Kompany the front six are midgets (I know Caciedo isn't but he plays like one).

Robinho is just too lightweight - whether that will change over time or when the opposition have got other players to worry about who knows but at the moment he just gets over powered and knocked off the ball a lot.

You would not see another side playing Elano, Ireland and Robinho in the same side, particularly away from home.

It was like a pre-season game today. Poor.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.