What does it take to be a Top Tier CL team? Our Masterplan!

blueprint

These are my thoughts and comments

To quote Tim Rich of the Guardian
"Khaldoon and Sheikh Mansour were the only voices that mattered. Rightly or wrongly, they considered Hughes a limited manager who had made limited use of their unlimited funds. And they acted as they always had: swiftly"

The perception of Hughes as a limited manager is absolutely spot on when we dovetailed with Hughes' 'stopclock timewatching' at the Derby. His players' management has developed into a carbuncle of crisis (with at least six players turning against the owner) and should be lanced before it turned into full blown gangrene. His underutilization of Academy players (Nedum, Weiss and at one time Micah and Ireland to a less stellar City player) leaves a lot to be desired. At the other end of the spectrum players like Kolo, Lescott, Robinho, Ade, Petrov has been hung high and dry with his tactics and selection. To me the turning point was the Derby.
There is a cognitive dissonance between what the blueprint is mapped out and the 'draw' mentality played out (2 wins out of 11 games) by a mediocre or limited manager who espoused or supported 'the masterplan to forge a winning culture'. Robinho should be applauded for stating that City should strive for 1st place. If we can beat Arsenal and Chelsea it shows that we have the team and the wherewithal to be a Top tier CL team. The loss to Spurs was the straw that broke the camel's back lowering City to 8th. place. You see Hughes did not 'Walk the Talk'. 6th place is a benchmark but sad to say Hughes squandered his opportunity by not being a good steward.

As a side note, let me give my take on Rafa. If Rafa had gone for wins at the draw games last season Liverpool would be a different team today after clinching the title. It was his draws against lesser team and not his wins against the other top 3 teams thats the crux of the matter.

Hughes' notion of 'not losing a game' does not augurs a winning culture and forge titles or championship teams. Go figger, suppose City were not to lose a game and end up with 38 points would that be good enough for us?

Do you not think that Rafa wanted to win games, then? He went for matches often enough but he spent his money poorly and Liverpool's blatant need for a second liner was exposed. This whole two defensive midfielders theory the media have come up with is total rubbish. Not surprised though, this is Benítez we're talking about; anything he does is crucified in the papers. I can't help but feel sorry for him.

To answer the question: Continuity, togetherness and quality. The two things are lacking and I would therefore rule it out.

Xavvi said:
Do you not think that Rafa wanted to win games, then? He went for matches often enough but he spent his money poorly and Liverpool's blatant need for a second liner was exposed. This whole two defensive midfielders theory the media have come up with is total rubbish. Not surprised though, this is Benítez we're talking about; anything he does is crucified in the papers. I can't help but feel sorry for him.

To answer the question: Continuity, togetherness and quality. The two things are lacking and I would therefore rule it out.

To a certain extent I agree with you. His game management was less stellar tho'. Against lesser teams he should have gone for the wins right?

the way we have just dealt with hughes is exactly how you act if you want to be a top champions league team

The main thrust of Mancinini is to focus and manage to get victories out of every non-top 4 team. Just focussing on Chelsea, Scums, Gooners will be expending an inordinate amount of energies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.