What has happened to our country?

Johnsonontheleft

Recently found out that my daughter's primary school received an excellent OFSTED report except for one area where it was marked down: lack of cultural diversity. As an English countryside school, 100% of the pupils are English, and OFSTED actually penalised the school for this, calling it a 'comparative weakness'

Absolute fucking disgrace.

Johnsonontheleft said:
Recently found out that my daughter's primary school received an excellent OFSTED report except for one area where it was marked down: lack of cultural diversity. As an English countryside school, 100% of the pupils are English, and OFSTED actually penalised the school for this, calling it a 'comparative weakness'

Laughable.. But what do you expect in the worlds capital of political correctness !!!!

Do they mean that they aren't taught about different cultures or that they don't have cultural diversity among their pupils? If it's the latter then I think it is unfair for the school to be penalised for who their pupils are, when as you have pointed out, it is a school in the English countryside where most people are English! But if it is about teaching kids about other cultures then I think this is important in schools.

bugsyblue said:
Do they mean that they aren't taught about different cultures or that they don't have cultural diversity among their pupils? If it's the latter then I think it is unfair for the school to be penalised for who their pupils are, when as you have pointed out, it is a school in the English countryside where most people are English! But if it is about teaching kids about other cultures then I think this is important in schools.

that used to be geography didn't it?

Johnsonontheleft said:

Maybe they should bring in a rule that stipulates 30% of the pupils have to be from non-white ethnic origins, 20% should have a disability, 25% should show homosexual tendencies and 25% should want to be politicians when they grow up, and a maximum of only 11.025% can be Elephants and/or Wooly Mammoths.

Unless it's just that their RE classes and history classes don't teach anything on non-traditional English culture? Which I would find astounding in this day and age.

It's not because they don't have any children from different cultures they have been criticised (not penalised), it will be because the children haven't been taught about other cultures or had the opportunity to experience them - which would be even more important in a setting where they are not familiar with it.
They could have had workshops, speakers, books, school linking, lessons or visits to improve their understanding of different cultures.

BTW - I'm the 'diversity coordinator' at my school. You would never have heard of one of them 10 years ago.

Yes the OP doesn't really make it clear as to whether it's because it's the actual numbers of ethnic minorities in the school, or whether it's because the curriculum doesn't include enough teaching of diversity subjects. Given that it's a primary school, I can't imagine that too much diversity teaching will go on anyway but if it's the first scenario then yes it is a disgrace and is another kick in the teeth for common sense.

Edit following the above post: If you're saying that kids of primary school age have to learn all this instead of the 3 R's, then it's a sad state of affairs. There's plenty of time to be taught the evils of being a white Englishman in older classes I'm sure. At 5-10 years they should enjoy being kids, get to play a lot and learn the basics of numeracy and literacy.

117 M34 said:
it will be because the children haven't been taught about other cultures or had the opportunity to experience them

So the school should take my daughter on a trip to Bethnal Green or similar in order to avoid criticism and improve their OFSTED report?

I'm sure that would go down well with the parents...

I think the way ofsted will look at this is, although they can see all the pupils are white English, should that situation change, the children may have some knowledge of different cultures or backgrounds. Kids can say hurtful things at times, not out of malice but by ignorance or lack of awareness.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.