What has happened to this forum

Discussion in 'Technical queries' started by 80s Shorts, 12 May 2011.

1. stony

stony

People have offered to pay a subscription and Ric decided against it.

2. royle

royle

That's not fair,if i go to any other site ,they work,every time i come here,which is usually when something has happened,the site is down,so its understandable that people will get frustrated.

The mods have said it isn't a money issue,as plenty have offered to contribute,it is obviously a software issue,if the software can't cope no matter how well you optimize it, then for the site to maintain its status as the number 1 city forum, they may need to rethink and change.

3. Why Always Ste

Why Always Ste

A donation feature would be more suited for this place, oh and block guests lol

4. Maintainin

Maintainin

...to be fair 80's, a lot of the current problems such as duplicate posts and threads could be less than they are if more posters took a bit of time to self-moderate their own posts, ie..once they've noticed post been duplicated simply nip back edit n' delete the extra bits, also people are thinkin their post arn't appearin so they keep hittin refresh or F5 which will further add to duplications.

No doubt this very post might duplicate, in which case i'll simply nip back and edit/delete the excess. (right click n saved)

It's nowt new really.

***edited out the excess shortly after duplication***

5. Dom38

Dom38

What the hell? <a class="postlink" href="http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/</a> now.

<a class="postlink" href="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lock-plus/</a>

6. Lucky13

Lucky13

As others have said , especially on match days , registered only , no guests.

I can't see the point of having 500 guests who bring the site to a stand still.

7. AdamoTheGreat

AdamoTheGreat

theres barely anybody on right now and its still failing...cant even post in some threads

8. bluemonkey71

bluemonkey71

Say what? It's like shit off a shovel at the moment

9. lee-mcfc

lee-mcfc

fastttt now and i hope it stays fast tomorrow when we win

*GIDDDDDDDDDDDDDY*

10. Damocles

Damocles

I love all these self appointed experts threads. In answer to 80s Shorts, it has been slow for the past day or so with frequent errors because we are actively working on it.

Yes, we actually need somebody who gets paid to optimise phpbb forums; possibly somebody who has actively contributed code to the project for several years, somebody who knows every line of every file of this software. Someone like me. And pray, tell me, what exactly is access to phpmyadmin going to do for efficiency?

For the record, our site gets 109,000 requests every single hour. The slowdown is on the database side of things now, we now have the web server architecture to deal with that level. We spent all day yesterday working on it, most of the day before and will spend most of today working on it too. I'm pretty sure that this is about the fourth thread in the last 24 hours that I've had to explain this. Only on this forum could you work your bollocks off for people for several days straight and still have them criticise you for it.