What if we just went with Delap, Jesus, and Torres?

We only need to win games 1-0
Necessity is the mother of invention. Your post is actually more subtle than what you've actually said. Pep is the kind of guy who can change tactics to suit our circumstances.

Just to clarify, you think the attack won us the league last season despite us having the best defence (least goals, most clean sheets)?

I think we pissed the league because we had the best of both.

I'm just not one of those people pretending the top scoring club in the country has a goalscoring issue.

dont really know Delap will feature a significant amount of time or not. he got a bit hype going in early on the season (where is Delap, is he starting etc) but never actually played for us after September 2020 despite Kun being off for long having 2 games every single week nearly.
he played 39 minutes of PL football in the 5-2 Leicester loss and 1 Carabao game where he scored in early round and that was it really iin the first team.

false 9 does not favour his chances imo for selection. hopefully he gets more time this season.

I believe we'll do fine this season.

Blue Mooning bed wetters, with their knickers in a twist, don't seem to realise just how good we are.

"We must have a striker, we must have a striker... we haven't bought a striker, we must have a striker, we're doomed."

What a load of old smelly bollocks.

Just give your heads a good wobble, get to the matches or turn the telly on and watch our City play magnificent and entertaining football and thank your lucky stars you are not Burnley or West Brom supporters.

JJ
I second this, all day long

If we could rotate them and also with Kayky arriving this week now not January and going straight into the first team squad, then I woyld be happy to see them fully tried out as out striking choices.

Even if it meant no trophies but a top 3 finish and these players become better and ready for th eseason after, I could live with than happily

I think we pissed the league because we had the best of both.

I'm just not one of those people pretending the top scoring club in the country has a goalscoring issue.
We scored a lot of goals because Pep found a brilliant system with CMs/wingers playing as false 9.

There are some people who believe that since Pep found the solution to our goalscoring problems (and there were problems prior to the West Brom game in December), he can do it again - whether it's by playing the same system (false 9) or by inventing a new system.

This is seen as a stop-gap solution by some other people to manage our underlying goalscoring issues in the short term. This group of people doesn't believe that it's something that can be easily replicated twice.

What if....Well, we may win the league again, who knows?

Thing is, Aguero contributed next to nothing last season. Sterling had his worst season since 16/17 and Jesus since 17/18. Even Kevin wasn't at his very best.

Now, if Grealish comes good and Foden flourishes, and if Sterling, Jesus and Kevin return to the level they had before 20/21, then we may do better than expected. Some players may surprise us and score many goals. Or perhaps not, nobody really knows. Living with uncertaintly is part of what it is to be a fan. Keep an open mind and hope for the best. Most importantly, get behind the team.
i agree with a lot of what you’re saying but that’s a lot of ifs & mays….I don’t doubt the ability of our squad, but all the speculation surrounding Messi Kane or Ronaldo coming has got to be disruptive, I know they are paid professionals but this will have an effect, let’s hope it’s a positive one! We really need a big season from Kev

We scored a lot of goals because Pep found a brilliant system with CMs/wingers playing as false 9.

There are some people who believe that since Pep found the solution to our goalscoring problems (and there were problems prior to the West Brom game in December), he can do it again - whether it's by playing the same system (false 9) or by inventing a new system.

This is seen as a stop-gap solution by some other people to manage our underlying goalscoring issues in the short term. This group of people doesn't believe that it's something that can be easily replicated twice.

There's this odd premise at the heart of your comment which is that we are starting from zero again. "Replicated twice" is a weird way of saying keep playing the system we have for the last 10 months with incredible results.

28 games with it so far and 2.57 goals per game. Its not slowing down.

Pep didn't invent anything last season, he reverted to a system he's used for over a decade when it suits the squad he has. Aguero and Jesus were injured so it suited the squad so he used it. There is nothing stop gap about it.

"Underlying goalscoring issues" what are those exactly? Is it being top scorers 4 seasons in a row? Is it having goals from almost every postion on the pitch?

Or is it just trying to sound smart when you mean "occasionally we don't score" which is true for every team in history no matter how many strikers they have?

We scored in 36/38 games last season. 34 in 19/20, 36 in 18/19 and 36 in 17/18.

So I'm really struggling to work out what "underlying goalscoring problems" actually means as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with scoring goals.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.