What is the greatest song ever written?

Out of curiosity, how exactly was Bob Dylan innovative musically-speaking? Lyrics are only part of a song. Main reason I don’t listen to him very often is that musically, I find his songs uninteresting, though no question he has few peers as a lyricist, and maybe none. But he wrote poems to strum along to for the longest time. The Band helped but I never found them that interesting either.

I’ve grown fonder of Dylan as I’ve aged but I only own a small part of his canon. I quite like the Band too.

While I could perhaps be persuaded Dylan is the finest lyricist popular music has had, I could not be convinced that hig word count and clever words make for the best songs. But songs come in all shapes and sizes so picking a best ain’t easy.

I do think a song should be sung and have a great melody and to borrow a phrase be hooky if it is to qualify as the greatest ever. It probably should be a very popular “three minute pop song”.

I’d say the best contender out of Dylan’s catalogue is “Like a Rolling Stone” but The Rolling Stone of several superior contenders for this accolade e.g. “Satisfaction”.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.