What is the greatest song ever written?

There's a lot, but I think Let it Be may be the best song ever written.
I was thinking about this tune today and it bought a tear to my eye. Always on in our house when I was a kid. Was one of my Ma's favourites and also my big sisters, who died suddenly almost 18years ago to the day.
Not much has me blubbing but this will do the trick every time.
It's only recently that I've come to appreciate what a fantastic tune it is.

I was thinking about this tune today and it bought a tear to my eye. Always on in our house when I was a kid. Was one of my Ma's favourites and also my big sisters, who died suddenly almost 18years ago to the day.
Yeah. It’s so good. And I don’t even love the Beatles all that much myself. I’m more of a Stones fan, generally.

Not sure there is such thing as The Greatest Song, but this one has been in my top few songs for almost my whole adult life and means as much to me now I am a FOC as it did when I was a young buck.

It still resonates and holds its meaning, and it sounds as good and fresh as it did when i first heard. And the band are pretty awesome musicians - this live version is so close to the original single version.

Always thought this was the perfect pop song

Great great song.

And John Lennon playing Bass on it !

Last edited:
Speaking of great songs, and tears to eyes. I shed a tear when I watch Elvis doing Unchained melody.
He was obviously on his way down to his eventual death but Wow the emotion he puts into this live version. His voice never let him down.

I've always thought Dylan and Morrissey stood out as the two greatest song writers, I'd probably just edge it towards Dylan but not much in it.

I'd go with Not Dark Yet by Dylan

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.