What is the longest drive you've done ?

Drove back from Glastonbury to Manchester covered in mud, with no sleep and a raging comedown in 2007. That felt like a long, long drive at the time.

I know someone who once took a taxi ride from West Philadelphia, where they were born and raised, on a playground they spent most of their days.

The taxi's licence plate said "Fresh" and they had dice on the mirror.

They finally arrived in Bel Air and pulled up to the gate around seven or eight.

View attachment 35006

True Story!!
Sounds more like a Springstein track to me....;)

Back in 2003 I went to Florida on hols, we were staying near Daytona beach (a friends villa there) but because the flights were so expensive to fly to Orlando we ended up flying to Atlanta and then driving.....fucking nightmare, took 7 hours, we shared the driving between 2 of us and only just made it as we took turns nodding off whilst driving!!!
slept for the first two days of the holiday once we got there....

absolutely brilliant holiday though and my first visit to the US.

I've never done a really long drive. So maybe this will be a crazy idea.

We are planning a trip from Brisbane to visit friends in Perth.
If it were possible to drive non-stop it would take about 60 hours using the coastal route Hwy 1.

Obviously that is not possible so we're planning to drive about 4 hours a day so should take roughly 18 days. We will spend 3 or 4 days not driving at all got staying in towns that sound interesting, like Coober Pedy where there are opal mines, you can visit, and wineries in the Barrosa valley. Things like that.

On the way back home we aim to go round the top end of Australia.
This would take 90 hours in one hit as it's longer. But we will take about 30 days to get back doing the same sort of thing.
Aiming to do this in our winter (June) as the trip home through the northern tropics would be too hot and humid in summer. (Top third of Oz is tropical)
Total driving time over 150 hours to circumnavigate Australia.

Has anyone done any long drives like this, any advice, tips etc. ?

View attachment 34968
Not so much related to the length of the drive, but on your way in or out of Darwin, stop at Edith Falls (Upper lake). Stunning spot to swim, and no Salties to worry about.

Katherine Gorge (Nitmaluk) close by is also stunning if you fancy a canoe and some fun portaging. We did an overnight trip which was very special.

All of the above is based on the assumption you’ll be there in the Dry season? All bets are off in the Wet season.

Penzance to margate over 12 hrs with two young kids and a dog . No where to stop, laybys full of bloody caravans, any service station rammed. Horrible drive.
The following year instead of leaving at about 9ish on the Saturday we spent it at an attraction in Cornwall till about 4pm. Than left for home, a straight run no traffic and home by 10pm. Done that every time since ;)

Drove to groclin dyskobolia in 2003 , took 3 days to get there think it was about 3,500 km round trip

My husband and I drove from Long Island to Florida and back, when we first got
married. We experienced the same as you and we loved it. Hope to repeat the trip again soon.
I think if I did America like that again I’d like to do it by train now I’m older. Unfortunately those train packages are extremely expensive.

In the sixties (yawn) the 350 miles from manchester to newquay was a f'kin nightmare, 12 hours was not uncommon, usually more like ten. It was lemming-like, we knew before setting off it would be just as bad as the year before, that every town would be grid-locked, every filling station would be choc-a-bloc, queues for the bogs massive, the chaos on the exeter bypass a regular feature on the news; women drivers were still a bit uncommon so most "dads" had to do all the driving. The hotel lounge was a bit "four yorkshire men", who had the longest journey etc, those from scotland taking the mileage yellow jersey, but the south-east journeyers were in solid traffic all the way. Coach travellers generally shared the same verdict, "never again".

In the sixties (yawn) the 350 miles from manchester to newquay was a f'kin nightmare, 12 hours was not uncommon, usually more like ten. It was lemming-like, we knew before setting off it would be just as bad as the year before, that every town would be grid-locked, every filling station would be choc-a-bloc, queues for the bogs massive, the chaos on the exeter bypass a regular feature on the news; women drivers were still a bit uncommon so most "dads" had to do all the driving. The hotel lounge was a bit "four yorkshire men", who had the longest journey etc, those from scotland taking the mileage yellow jersey, but the south-east journeyers were in solid traffic all the way. Coach travellers generally shared the same verdict, "never again".

Reminds me of our trips back than to, Manchester from margate at Easter to see our grandparents and family. Leaving at 2am going through the centre of London etc pass the Oval cricket ground !. In my dads Rover 100 so much better than the Ford Anglia etc

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.