What Makes You Proud To Be British?

Why should I be proud of something I did not earn or achieve? It's like being proud of winning the lottery.

If I had come here from some random country and earned the right of citizenship through hard work and good conduct, I might well be proud of that.

If we were somehow to end poverty, have the best education system in Europe, and provide housing for all who need it, I might start to feel proud of the country's achievements. With regard to history, I am neither proud nor ashamed of it. I had no agency before I was born. I did not storm the beaches on D-Day, nor did I go to Africa and enslave people.
Most folk would excuse themselves from the equation but if you think having pride in your country is just about your achievements - and you've contributed nothing to the greater good & indeed gained nothing from others - that's pretty sad.

It's starts with your family and then moves out to wider rings. Your tribe/street/community...city....region....country...continent...planet. Human nature.

I'm proud of the natural wonder of Britain from the mountains to the coast and everything in-between.
I'm also proud of engineering feats like the Forth, Tay, Royal Albert and Britannia bridges, the Severn Tunnel and London Underground.
I'm even proud of the modern engineering projects like the Severn and Humber bridges, The Shard and the Channel Tunnel.
I've no interest in the royal family and all the military pageants around them. I'm also not keen on the way society is going, with everyone just looking out for themselves.
However, I think it's great that you can still go to a pub, a gig or the football and strike up a conversation with a complete stranger and find a bit of common ground.

Some people who claim not to be proud to be British are the same people who try to tell everyone who will listen that we should accept all the worlds cultures and celebrate them.

@oldius has it about right in reality though.

What a hard question to answer.

Never really cared much about the royals, much to the disappointment of my late uncle (we won the CL, Chris and you’ve have loved it). He was a hard line royalist.

When the Queen passed and the coverage of the entire thing was broadcast worldwide, including the funeral, for the first time in my life I felt proud that family was what people around the world think of when they think of Great Britain. The pomp, the tradition. It was quite the thing.

Two years later I couldn’t give a shiny fuck about them again (sorry Chris) and if Charles was to pop it I would rather watch a re run of Friends than tune into that again.

New Survey currently being 'discussed' on Sky News - here's an older one
View attachment 130796
From that I'd say the NHS, the armed forces, our culture and arts (particularly our literary output over the centuries), and there are still many British businesses that pack a punch. I don't think we have a complete democracy so I would never answer that.

Nonetheless, I agree with others that being proud of where you're from is somewhat strange and cocksure. It's something you have no control over. Any achievements an individual may make in life, or any their children make make; well that's something you can certainly be proud of.

I'm proud of the natural wonder of Britain from the mountains to the coast and everything in-between.
I'm also proud of engineering feats like the Forth, Tay, Royal Albert and Britannia bridges, the Severn Tunnel and London Underground.
I'm even proud of the modern engineering projects like the Severn and Humber bridges, The Shard and the Channel Tunnel.
I've no interest in the royal family and all the military pageants around them. I'm also not keen on the way society is going, with everyone just looking out for themselves.
However, I think it's great that you can still go to a pub, a gig or the football and strike up a conversation with a complete stranger and find a bit of common ground.
It is a beautiful country, no doubt. The sad thing is many don't realise just how scenic the British Isles are.

From that I'd say the NHS, the armed forces, our culture and arts (particularly our literary output over the centuries), and there are still many British businesses that pack a punch. I don't think we have a complete democracy so I would never answer that.

Nonetheless, I agree with others that being proud of where you're from is somewhat strange and cocksure. It's something you have no control over. Any achievements an individual may make in life, or any their children make make; well that's something you can certainly be proud of.

Being proud only really happens when the govt of the day sanction flag waving at the Olympics or any other sporting event.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.