what needs to happen for us to advance?

BlueMooney said:
lancs blue said:
It's also possible for all 4 teams to finish on 8 points if Ajax draw in the Bernabeu and beat Dortmund tomorrow but that probably wouldn't help us much unless we win both games comfortably as our goal difference is a bit inferior.

I can't get my head around this bit.

The deciding factor should be head-to-head results, but I don't know if they can use that when all teams have finished on equal points (should that happen, Dortmund would have to be above Madrid and City above Dortmund, but what if Madrid needed to be above City if we beat them 4-3 as they did better at City than City did at Madrid? It's impossible for that to happen...). So if we all finish on 8 points, is it goal difference rather than head to head?

In which case, that would make it still possible, however unlikely, for City to win the group?

They'll probably decide it on alpabetical order:

Ajax 8pts
CITY 8pts
Dortmund 8pts
Real Madrid 8pts

We're in!!!! The knock out stages, that is!

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
BlueMooney said:
lancs blue said:
It's also possible for all 4 teams to finish on 8 points if Ajax draw in the Bernabeu and beat Dortmund tomorrow but that probably wouldn't help us much unless we win both games comfortably as our goal difference is a bit inferior.

I can't get my head around this bit.

The deciding factor should be head-to-head results, but I don't know if they can use that when all teams have finished on equal points (should that happen, Dortmund would have to be above Madrid and City above Dortmund, but what if Madrid needed to be above City if we beat them 4-3 as they did better at City than City did at Madrid? It's impossible for that to happen...). So if we all finish on 8 points, is it goal difference rather than head to head?

In which case, that would make it still possible, however unlikely, for City to win the group?

They'll probably decide it on alpabetical order:

Ajax 8pts
CITY 8pts
Dortmund 8pts
Real Madrid 8pts

We're in!!!! The knock out stages, that is!

Nope :-)

Ajax 8pts
B. Dortmund 8pts
Man. CITY 8pts
Real Madrid 8pts

but anyway, Real are doomed.

Assuming victories tonight and at Dortmund, that leaves 9 different possibilities for the final group standing, 2 of which eliminate City. Ajax need to win at least one of their remaining matches, or it's all over.

We have to win both, anything less than that and we're out.

Then, if Dortmund beat Ajax tonight, Real have to drop points at home in the next round of games to Ajax (not going to happen).

If Dortmund draw with Ajax, I think only a draw between Real and Ajax next round will see us with a chance of going through.

If Ajax beat Dortmund a win to Ajax or Real will see us go through, a draw might see us go through.

If we finish level on points with Dortmund (presuming we beat them) we'll go through ahead of them on head to head results.

We need to win tonight by 2 goals, or by 1 goal with a 2-1 or 1-0 result and we'll go through ahead of Real in the event of a tie.

If Ajax beat Dortmund and beat Madrid and we win our next two it will be a four way tie which will go down to goal difference, goals scored, away goals scored and then UEFA co-efficient.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.