What teams did people at your school support?

Xaverian, 2nd half of the 60s, was roughly 50-50 City and rags among the match-goers plus the usual armchair rags who couldn't find the swamp on a map. We also had one Liverpool fan who was a Scouse lad whose family had moved to Manc. Can't remember fans of any other clubs.

I'm at the University of York at the moment and I was surprised when I moved here from Manchester of the number of Blues here. More so, because out of the ones I've met, one is from somewhere in Essex and the other from Scarborough.

Xaverian, 2nd half of the 60s, was roughly 50-50 City and rags among the match-goers plus the usual armchair rags who couldn't find the swamp on a map. We also had one Liverpool fan who was a Scouse lad whose family had moved to Manc. Can't remember fans of any other clubs.
Funny you mention Xaverian, I just left there in the summer of 2017. I'd still agree with you in the present day; it was pretty equal in terms of City and United, if we didn't just edge it. Again, there is always some plastic Dippers which I don't get - especially having been brought up in Manchester. There was also a pocket of Sheffield Wednesday fans which I found strange. Good lads, who would go quite often; but all from Manchester going on Stockport.

Salford mid-70's
In my class those lads who followed football were split

United 60%
City 30%
Others (Liverpool, Derby Co, Villa) 10%.

The Blues were def more likely to actually go to a game.

The only girls who were arsed were Blues and caught the Salford Precinct special bus to the ground.

Priestnall, in Stockport, was pretty much 50/50 in terms of City and United, with a handful of Liverpool and County fans.

I grew up in Cornwall in the '70s, so not surprisingly, there were plenty of rags, red dippers and dirty Leeds.

However, I also remember fans of Chelsea, Forest, Spurs, Villa, Coventry and Argyle, of course.

There were two other City fans in my year, and both still follow our fortunes.

Another Xavs lad. I left there in 77 and would say it was 60 per cent City then. We had a few Stockport fans, Oldham, and a Stalybridge Celtic fanatic who attended every match home and away!

Two Trees in the 80s I say 50/50 . I recall our group of blues would go to Maine Rd ( a few rags as well). Yet I cannot remember any rags going to the swamp. Even mates outside of school were the same. It wasnt until we started drinking together that some rags started to go and yet they still would go to the odd city game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.