What was it like following City away in Europe in the 60's and 70's

ArdwickBlue_M12

For those on here who went or knew people that followed City in Europe back in the 60's and 70's, what was it like? I am 23 and follow city regularly in Europe. I would have loved to be a supporter back in the day

Sixties and seventies, must have been hard to even get to a European away game. I'd love to hear some tales though, I wager only ex-pats and fucking lunatics were making the journeys.

You were only allowed to take £50 out of the country pp in the late 70s

I managed to get to the ECWC semi-final vs Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in 1971.
In the back of my school mate's Dads Bedford van.
Down the M6/M1.Park up at Watford tube station.
Get off at Fulham Broadway tube station.
Avoid the Neanderthal Chelsea skinheads outside the ground.
Then make the same journey in reverse and arrive back home in Middleton in the early hours.
And we got beat by the Cockney twats as well.

Went to 2 aways, one in 69/70 to Coimbra, and one in 70/71 to Copenhagen for the replay against Gornik Zabrze (no away goals in those days).
Drew the first 0-0 and won the second 3-1.
Pissed both times (excess of duty free whisky).

Edit: 3 aways - 70/71 Chelsea in the Semi Final, first leg!
I'll never forget that day. It was my 21st birthday.
Surprisingly sober.

My old man maintained the he was at Shalke in 1970, and whilst hooliganism hadn't quite made it to Germany at that point he still mangaged to end up having a scrap after "offending" some of the locals post match.

He admits this one Shalke fan got the better of him after a few of his pals ran in. Unfortunatly for this group of shalke fans, they bumped into my Dad and his mates two weeks later on Kippax Street. The rest was history.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.