What was your football boot of choice

As kids we didn’t have money to splash around but I was football mad. I remember Alan Ball launching “white boots” in the very early 70s and I wanted a pair whatever. I was told to save up half of the cost and the other half would be found. When it all came together, they were delivered……..imagine my horror when on opening the box I saw the cheapest, tackiest pair of white plastic boots!!. They were crap to put it mildly. After about 6 games they split…..but was told in no uncertain terms “they will do”. My dream of playing at Wembley was gone forever!!
I joined the Navy in ‘76…….it got me away from the dump named Leigh. I had an oppo in’81 who was linked (family friends) to John Wark at Ipswich Town??……..who casually said one day.…”If you need. a new pair of boots….just ask…..John Wark will oblige”. I wasn’t shy at coming forward……..”size 9 will be perfect“…I replied. Fair play…1 week later……a beautiful pair of Pumas adorned my feet……..free of charge. Played a few games for various Navy teams in them before the Falklands Conflict kicked off. April ‘82…my ship and home set off for the Falklands……with my Pumas onboard. Argies sank us on the 21st May …….and along with the ship went my Pumas. Gutted!!. Hey Ho….that’s life!!

Adidas Santiago, always.. although there were other, later boots in Adidas' range that looked pretty good, despite their convoluted names, such as the 'Beckenbauer Super' and the 'Gerd Muller Goal'.. I also had a look at the 'Borussia Moenchengladbach Corner Kick' but unfortunately its name was so long it only came in size 12 and upwards in order to fit the name on the side of the boot, too big for my size 9s..(!!)

Adidas Santiago, always.. although there were other, later boots in Adidas' range that looked pretty good, despite their convoluted names, such as the 'Beckenbauer Super' and the 'Gerd Muller Goal'.. I also had a look at the 'Borussia Moenchengladbach Corner Kick' but unfortunately its name was so long it only came in size 12 and upwards in order to fit the name on the side of the boot, too big for my size 9s..!!
Brilliant!!!

First boots I had in the 60s were Timpsons Shooting Stars,similar build to hobnail boots completely covered above the ankle lol,begged for some adidas like a few of my posh mates but me dad said if you can play you can play in anything ",needless to say I never quite made it

They are a thing of beauty.

do you still have them.

My view too. I loved them. I used to 'dub' them to death and always keep screwed up newspaper in the them to retain their shape.

I wish I did. I rarely keep anything after it has served it's purpose. I last used them when I trialled for Salford RLFC academy. Two of threads on the screws were buggered so the studs kept coming out. I lost them early on in the trial. Playing on solid ground, my feet were f**ked after around 15 mins.

My view too. I loved them. I used to 'dub' them to death and always keep screwed up newspaper in the them to retain their shape.

I wish I did. I rarely keep anything after it has served it's purpose. I last used them when I trialled for Salford RLFC academy. Two of threads on the screws were buggered so the studs kept coming out. I lost them early on in the trial. Playing on solid ground, my feet were f**ked after around 15 mins.
That’s a shame. I used to try and keep as much as I could from my football days. I I still have a couple of pairs of predators that really are just about hanging on.
A few years ago my mum was clearing out the garage and messaged me saying she had a few of my old football bits and did I want them.

long story short there were a few bags of my old football stuff. A few training tops and shorts from some of my non league clubs and from my yt days. Loads of old programmes and team sheets. But the Best Bit was in another bag. She had kept loads of my old goalie gloves. Uhlsport atp’s. A pair of sondico before they became crap and a pair of sells. Honestly I was so happy just trying them on again. I tried to show my lad but he had no interest ha ha. I even still had those old football catalogues from the 90s. Great days.

View attachment 35216
Had them season 85/86.
Also had a pair from around that time, that had been knocked off.

Rumour was a large number had been nicked from a warehouse, which kinda made sense as i remember playing one game where like 18/19 players out of about 24 were all wearing Nike Tiempo's.

Soon after Nike changed the design by changing the number of studs, so you could basically spot which ones were likely 'off a lorry' and ones that were likely bought legit.

How many studs did your's have?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.