what's going on-Marvin Gaye

stonerblue said:
BTâ„¢ said:
stonerblue said:
BTâ„¢ said:
Bigga said:
Ok, Darren. To your (obviously limited) knowledge, what exactly has 'aged' on that Marvin Gaye album?

And please don't mention the use of flute or bongos...!

Also it was YOU that mention soul albums and 'love' in the same context, when no one else did. Since when did Luther ever do a social commentary album?!! The very notion is ridiculous!
Thanks for the insult again.

The question was asked in the first post Best soul album ever??. I decided to add that I didn't think it was the best soul album ever and said what I thought was.

You have commented on here before that if a poster has a view then no one should attack them for it so I suggest you listen to your own advice and chill out.

Oh and for the record, Paul Young's cover of Wherever I Lay My Hat shits all over Gaye's version. De Niro will back me up on that as he knows his soul music.

hahahahaha. you crack me up.
A lot of people feel the same. You're permanently stoned so I forgive you Whitey.

what's this 'Whitey' shit ??

are you gonna answer my question or ignore it ..

Knight1979 said:
Just listened to the record straight through....almost brings me to tears each time.

Best soul album ever??

Yep from me. Superb album. Shows Berry Gordy didn't get it right every time.

By and large, this is a good thread with more mileage in it yet.

Regards social comment in albums, I was a big fan of The Impressions, Staples Singers, and Sly & the Family Stone, all of whom recorded tracks of the genre.

'Choice of Colors' by the Impressions, 'Don't Call me ******, Whitey' by Sly, and many songs by the Staples, featured in my own consciousness of the late 60's and 70's.

Isaac Hayes did 'Black Moses' too...

Marvin Gaye's album was however a whole new direction for him, and a change of output for Motown.

It's hard to say who influenced who, as America is such a large nation, however I think there were songwriters tuned-in all over the States who were perhaps simultaneously changing direction and exploring these issues via albums and singles.

The thing about Motown though, IMO, was the association with boy-girl love songs, and 'What's Going On' represented a seismic shift of output.

You touch on some relevant points, 1894. Songwriters/ singers of that time WERE looking to change approach and as many were beginning to realise how influencial they were, they'd put that to use with the social commentary of the time.

From my personal point of view, there's been no other era where writers, speaking with freedom, have produced a wealth of musical gold. In saying that and attributing things back to soul music, where Marvin Gaye differed, from the rest of his compatriots, was the musical direction taken.

Where every talented artist, it seemed, of the time went right and explored the realms of funk, Marvin went left and immersed himself in the tones of jazz, the result of which can broadly heard on "What's Going On?". The magnus opus seminal album that stands out from the rest.

For his forray into soundtrack, Marvin went on to fuse the two sounds of Jazz and funk for the "Trouble Man" album. That particular album title piece, for the film "Trouble Man" was listed as one of Marvin's prides and joys in his musical career.

It's also one of my personal favourites, also.

Bigga said:
You touch on some relevant points, 1894. Songwriters/ singers of that time WERE looking to change approach and as many were beginning to realise how influencial they were, they'd put that to use with the social commentary of the time.

From my personal point of view, there's been no other era where writers, speaking with freedom, have produced a wealth of musical gold. In saying that and attributing things back to soul music, where Marvin Gaye differed, from the rest of his compatriots, was the musical direction taken.

Where every talented artist, it seemed, of the time went right and explored the realms of funk, Marvin went left and immersed himself in the tones of jazz, the result of which can broadly heard on "What's Going On?". The magnus opus seminal album that stands out from the rest.

For his forray into soundtrack, Marvin went on to fuse the two sounds of Jazz and funk for the "Trouble Man" album. That particular album title piece, for the film "Trouble Man" was listed as one of Marvin's prides and joys in his musical career.

It's also one of my personal favourites, also.

The point you make about "What's going on" being influenced by Jazz is a valid one. I never really thought about that connection. Side one of "What's goin On" is really just one piece of modal music with some variations in rythm and melody. The way it crescendos into "Mercy mercy me" is magical. Definitely a smoother Jazz then the fusion type stuff Miles was messing around with at the time (I never got into Bitchs Brew or much of anything Miles did in the 70's)

I love this album, and as a mediocre bassist am in awe of James Jamerson's playing as ever, but it is not the best soul album by a long way. However, BT is a twat and will clearly die of something he caught off NBC, so I think we can take his comments with a pinch of salt.

stonerblue said:
stonerblue said:
BTâ„¢ said:
stonerblue said:
BTâ„¢ said:
Bigga said:
Ok, Darren. To your (obviously limited) knowledge, what exactly has 'aged' on that Marvin Gaye album?

And please don't mention the use of flute or bongos...!

Also it was YOU that mention soul albums and 'love' in the same context, when no one else did. Since when did Luther ever do a social commentary album?!! The very notion is ridiculous!
Thanks for the insult again.

The question was asked in the first post Best soul album ever??. I decided to add that I didn't think it was the best soul album ever and said what I thought was.

You have commented on here before that if a poster has a view then no one should attack them for it so I suggest you listen to your own advice and chill out.

Oh and for the record, Paul Young's cover of Wherever I Lay My Hat shits all over Gaye's version. De Niro will back me up on that as he knows his soul music.

hahahahaha. you crack me up.
A lot of people feel the same. You're permanently stoned so I forgive you Whitey.

what's this 'Whitey' shit ??

are you gonna answer my question or ignore it ..

still waitng tosspot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.