What's Happened To Our Defence?

Keeps changing every single game, no defence in the history of football has been formidable with different personnel every week.

For me Walker has completely gone aswell and giving him that new deal was a massive fuck up. Getting John back so Akanji can play on the right side will be huge for us I feel. I don't know what the fuck the plan is with Gvardiol either, did we really pay £100 million for a backup left back? I'd like to see him and Nathan in the same team more often.

The headline is right but the summary of the goals I see quite differently.

1st - Doku has to deal with Son and Ederson has to be saving it. Walker was in position but was with the runner who Son would have played in otherwise.

2nd - Alvarez tries to flick the ball round to Haaland rather than controlling it and passing to feet. One header and it's straight to Lo Celso and Dias allowed him too much space to get the shot away.

3rd - Walker should stop the cross coming in. He had Bernie as backup but trots over to Johnson rather than getting tight and forcing him backwards.

The whole team needs to be smarter in possession and defensively. It's a collective effort. With the soft underbelly we have at the moment we need to be taking our chances too. We're conceding far too easily, as we did last season, and like last season it's because the side isn't playing with the right balance.
Does it make sense to leave Doku as the person left back at a corner to deal with Son? It makes no sense at all to me. I’m not sure why Pep thought that would be a good idea.

The headline is right but the summary of the goals I see quite differently.

1st - Doku has to deal with Son and Ederson has to be saving it. Walker was in position but was with the runner who Son would have played in otherwise.

2nd - Alvarez tries to flick the ball round to Haaland rather than controlling it and passing to feet. One header and it's straight to Lo Celso and Dias allowed him too much space to get the shot away.

3rd - Walker should stop the cross coming in. He had Bernie as backup but trots over to Johnson rather than getting tight and forcing him backwards.

The whole team needs to be smarter in possession and defensively. It's a collective effort. With the soft underbelly we have at the moment we need to be taking our chances too. We're conceding far too easily, as we did last season, and like last season it's because the side isn't playing with the right balance.
Few times recently that Kyle has allowed crosses to come in far too easily.

Nothing is the answer. Ake should play more often, Gvardiol isn’t up to speed yet and Dias has been off form but individually they’ve not been awful.

What’s happened is that as a team we don’t control the ball as well as we have done in previous seasons. Foden, Doku, Haaland, Alvarez try flicks and dribbles and low percentage passes that don’t come off and we lose the ball. Not their fault, I’m sure Pep’s given them that remit. And so because we’re usually encamped in the final third one or two decent balls give opponents easy access to the heart of our defence.

Once key personnel are back and we get our 2nd wind fitness wise after Christmas our defence will look rock solid again

One of the biggest problems, imo, is playing Alvarez just behind Haaland. We are shoehorning him into the side as he’s “too good” to leave out, but it’s leaving us light in midfield. Bernie has also not looked at the races when alongside Rodders as well.

I‘d also say we’ve looked laboured, pace wise, and seem to be panicking like fuck when ran at.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.