What's something you'll never do again in your life?

Walk the Pennine Way.
Fly to Australia and New Zealand
Fly to the Cook Islands
Watch the awe inspiring sunrise over Uluru
Attend away matches
:-( :-(

However on the plus side I hope to go back to Vancouver
Plus back to Etihad for home matches.
Oh tell me more! I have always wanted to do this
Would love to do the coast to coast walk as well.

Get in a wetsuit, fair to say I’ve put a few pounds on in my forties, went to centre parcs last year & was saddling up to do a bit of paddle boarding, got the suit on and had a bit of a panic/claustrophobia attack, this has extended to legroom issues in cars planes etc, tube slides at water parks, too much blood in the veins! Might have to start that health kick I promised at 37

Oh tell me more! I have always wanted to do this
Would love to do the coast to coast walk as well.
It was an amazing experience but not one that could be repeated even if I were still able. It was just over 40 years ago though when things were easier in terms of less people about and when 'wild' camping was easy. I did it to 'celebrate' my divorce and chose a beautiful summer..... but of course being me I chose the one section of that summer that it rained. Boy did it rain, but to be honest that made it into an adventure. I had Wainwright's book but didn't follow it slavishly, just referred to it now and again. I followed the paths most of the time and camped by the side of streams etc. My brother, who was in the Royal Marines at the time, advised me to sleep in my dry clothes and put the damp ones back on next day. 'Always keep a set of dry clothes our kid.' was his parting shot.

The hardest section was the Calder Valley and the Moors above Haworth. I will never forget walking alongside the wall of one field and thinking it's a bit sort of boggy but it must be ok because there's a path.....famous last thoughts :-) ... you know the scene in the Vicar of Dibley where she jumps in a puddle and disappears... well I think they must have nicked that from me. Not that I jumped or disappeared but my left leg and then my right leg did!! To just above my knees. Well I couldn't get any wetter so you just had to laugh, as I struggled to get out. No one around, rain hurtling down, misty outlook. So that night I found a big old manor house type place for b & b where they dried out my clothes for me and even though didn't normally, provided me with a 'scratch' (their word) evening meal.
That was the only time I gave in, apart from a couple of nights in youth hostels, youth I was 41 years old for goodness sake, but I was a member of the YHA at the time and had been for years.

It was one of the best experiences of my life, leaving aside the birth of my 4 kids, and I would highly recommend it. Today it might even be a little easier as there are more stopping places I understand, even if you can't camp out just where you feel like. Plus the paths are maintained as the numbers have grown. And you have mobile phones. What were they 40 years ago??? :-)
My advice? Buy a good map, make sure that you choose the good weather, although if you are anything like I was you will enjoy the poorer weather because you get that feeling of peace and tranquillity being alone and in that brilliant environment. Follow the map but not slavishly, do little detours, just enjoy and relax.
They say the best place to start is at Edale, that section will either make you or break you as there are some steep climbs. :-)

Go for it. I've only ever done bits of the Coastal Paths, mainly around Whitby, Robin Hood Bay and some in Wales, St David's and what I call the Holy Coast. Do it while you're fit and healthy enough, you'll have a ball. :-)

Sorry, I can bore for England on my PW adventures. :-( :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.