What's the difference?

tolmie's hairdoo said:
No argument from me. It was simply a nod that our system has to be flexible for different games.

At home, against dross such as Sunderland, Blackburn, Birmingham et al, Mancini needed to wake up sooner.

All the top teams go five against each other.

Can't disagree with that. De Jong and Barry are inter changible however the system needs Yaya to get forward which the other two dont have in their locker and we dont have anyone else capable either.

Right, I'm not denying it wasn't a great performance yesterday but it's being way too sugarcoated.

The first two goals were caused by terrible defending, Phil Bardsley was terrible enough to even be substituted off at half time, and how often does that happen to defenders who aren't injuried? Yaya Toure's goal was the definition of a gift.

It was good to see your team have some sort of attacking intent for once and not sitting back on their arses, even having Balotelli flash a smile for once in his life. However you cannot say it was a tremendous performance on your half, 3 of your goals were Sunderland's fault completely.

[MU]Prodigy said:
Right, I'm not denying it wasn't a great performance yesterday but it's being way too sugarcoated.

The first two goals were caused by terrible defending, Phil Bardsley was terrible enough to even be substituted off at half time, and how often does that happen to defenders who aren't injuried? Yaya Toure's goal was the definition of a gift.

It was good to see your team have some sort of attacking intent for once and not sitting back on their arses, even having Balotelli flash a smile for once in his life. However you cannot say it was a tremendous performance on your half, 3 of your goals were Sunderland's fault completely.

I dont think many will disagree with you, Sunderland were awful. However how many 5-0 victories do you see? Not many, how many have United, Arsenal or Chelsea had this season, or even the media darlings that are Spurs for that matter? We played well yesterday, Sunderland were poor but we still put them to the sword.

[MU]Prodigy said:

And aside from wonder goals, which goals aren't as a result of terrible defending?

As for attacking intent, take away seven goals against a shocking defensive display from Blackburn Rovers, in particular Pascal Chimbonda (see Bardsley), and you are no more prolific than us.

I will also offer up the little note that Berbatov grabbed, was it five or six in this game?

When you attempt to console yourself with reassuring words we pose no threat to your team, make sure you look at it objectively.

[MU]Prodigy said:

What?

What?

F...

[MU]Prodigy said:

Funny but you could say excactly the same about this..
Absolutely woeful defending is what is needed to get a big score..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU9VcXO9qGc[/youtube]

The difference being that this dire blackburn team that day actually scored against you.. when 7-0 down. hmmmmm

[MU]Prodigy said:

Didnt this happen to Evra at the weekend? So he was terrible? No, it was tactical I believe.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
4-4-2.

The irony being many of Mancini's biggest suppoters insisted his rigid 4-3-3, was correct.

The result yesterday says otherwise.

The conversion rates are great, but the chance creations were the biggest change.

Mancini has either woke-up or gone for broke.

Whatever it is, kudos for changing the rigid thinking.

It wasn't really a 442 though. Of course after Sky rammed it down our throats so often people may well have thought it was. But if anything it was the same 4231 that we have played all season, but this time with Silva playing as the AM instead of Yaya.

check the chalkboard for Silva and you can't say he played on the left.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/E151X6Qqgj7NOVi80x85" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chal ... 7NOVi80x85</a>

The change is something a lot of people have been crying out for. 2 central midfielders with Silva sitting in front and being allowed to roam. It means that Yaya is able to make those runs we love in the space he used to occupy as AM. For the first hour or so Balotelli and Tevez were flexible. If one dropped left or deep, the other would take the position as the lone striker, ensuring that we always had an outlet and kept their defence occupied. AJ was the only one that was stationery of the front 4. The rest were quite fluid, but that is the point of a 4231 and its variations. The rigidity isn't in the formation, but the players. Often we would play DJ and GB as the two midfielders, and put YT as AM. Silva would be stationed out on the left and sometimes move inside. AJ on the right, and Tevez up front... but because he often drops back to force the issue we are left without an outlet to play balls in behind. The fluidity of the system meant that when needed Balo and Tevez could also be up front together for periods during the game.

Yesterday for me was the first time the system has really come together and show an indication of what Mancini wants. While a 7/10ish performance, Kolarov would bomb down the left in the space made vacant by Silva and Tevez linking in the middle and drawing Ferdinand in.

lionheart said:
We created fewer chances than we did at home to Birmingham, Blackburn and Fulham but we put them away this time.

This is one of the main reasons for me. And the movement with and without the ball was better than usual. I dont think we created shit loads of chances though.

Enjoyed it immensely!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.