What's the difference?

Fernandinho in midfield is the biggest difference. Before gundogan went on his end of season run last year go look at the games we were missing Fernandinho and they’ll seem awfully familiar to this season. Tempo is imperative if our style is going to work yet Slow ponderous football has been the norm and it makes us very predictable and quite easy to play against. Fernandinho’s quick forward passing has been replaced by slow sideways balls after 4 touches and a 30 second wait whilst the opposition resets from Rodri

drop in form, lack of leadership, lack of strong mentality as too reliant on players who have experienced big defeats at key moments in our rise that if we'd won would have given us the aura we need.

Too pedestrian with the ball, no genuine pace, no genuine width, too little one touch play, too little movement in the front 3, too exposed on the counter, too slow in midfield, too slow and unresponsive in the defensive transition and then too many individual errors leading to clear chances and goals.

A third of the squad needs changing completely in the summer, and I'd be prepared to get rid of some big names to fund it and completely shift the style and mentality of the squad, but Pep seems unwilling and drives us down the path of second fiddle to our biggest rivals in big games. We've let them into our heads and it's time we brought in players who will embrace the shit, embrace the biased decisions on the pitch and just ruthlessly destroy our rivals in response.

I do wonder if VAR had a huge impact on the players' mindset. I think we were most likely VAR'ed out of it very early in the season.

Im not sure. I just think we have been nowhere near as good, nowhere near as clinical and a bit rudderless at times. The players concentration levels have dropped. Too many errors from too many players and a real drop in form from some. However, if Liverpool had not had the season they have then I’m sure the focus would have been there in games like this. We are in limbo land where we are. Too far ahead of 5th to worry and too far behind to bust a gut.

Last edited:
Complete lack of support the defence is getting from midfielders is a joke. The way we let quick runners go one vs one at Otamendi is a mistake from midfielders being nowhere near. This is gonna be the way they will finish us in CL probably next round already.

Our style of play relies on width....either at full back or on the wing to stretch teams and open up gaps.

To be fair to Sterling, teams have doubled up on him....And he hasn’t got the technical ability to deal with this.

Apart from the odd glimpse from Mahrez.......we are lacking in quality plus pace in this position.

Add to this the decline in Merlin and even Kun plus the loss of Fernandinho (switching to defence)

I also think Pep changes the team too much from game to game.

A big transfer window coming up this Summer with quality presiding over quantity.

Last edited:
Fernandinho shouldn’t be playing centre half. No issues with his performances there but I think we lose more from midfield than we gain in defence.

Actually wouldn’t mind trying Rodri at centre half and Fern in midfield. But really should have round pegs in round holes with our squad

Fernandinho's legs have gone when it comes to playing in his natural midfield role. He has proven he can fill in (contract extension) and it's unfortunate that he has to play the amount of games at centre-back.

Pep’s over-compensated for the loss of Laporte to such an extent, that he’s completely blindsided to how much we’re missing Fernandinho in midfield.

He’s been absolutely key to the way we play in the last two seasons. Dave and KDB could press like crazy high up the pitch, safe in the knowledge that Fernandinho is behind them and he has the pace, determination and nouse to close the space behind them.

Fast forward to this season and Rodri (who I think has great potential) is about as fast as Javi Garcia. He doesn’t close down space. He doesn’t read the game very well defensively. And his passing is often square, or a switch, he doesn’t find the two guys in front of him nearly enough.

And then there’s Gundogan. Surely the biggest blindside of Pep’s entire career? The guy is just not fit for purpose, I’m sorry. He’s just very average at everything. What’s he exceptional at? Penalties and speaking like a slightly camp, evil, cartoon cat.

Too slow in possession, no incision in his passing whatsoever. Slow out of possession, no hunger or aggression in winning it back. No creativity. Just safe, boring, side to side and backwards passes.

Take Fernandinho and David Silva out of a midfield and replace them with Rodri and Gundogan - it’s like taking Paul Scholes and Roy Keane out of your midfield and replacing them with Fred and McTominay...
Spot on 100%

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.