What's your take on pre-season?

Odd socks

When the season started everyone brought up city's poor start being down to no pre-season and I followed the narrative as it appeared to be a good reason as any.
But as the same applies to the rags who also complained about no pre-season, yet here we are at the business end of the season Champions and runner up.
So is pre-season important or just a commercial part that teams use to showcase who we are ?

I would arrange matches with the likes of Rochdale and Oldham like the good old days.
It would be a fantastic PR job doing that. Let them get full houses and keep gate Reciepts.

Won't happen.

No doubt we'll be playing the scum in Beijing 3 days before the charity shield instead...

If we win the CL, do we have to play in the Inter- galactic cup of cups?
If we win the CL city will be playing in the World Mickey Mouse club cup. As we don't play in red and other CFG teams have made it there it will be regarded as that and moved to BBC red button to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
With these covid seasons being longer and all the plastic fantasic overseas tours and international games I think most players are more in need of rest than pre season. Not like the old days When Jeff Whitley, Andy Morrison and Dikov had been on the piss for three months since May.

When the season started everyone brought up city's poor start being down to no pre-season and I followed the narrative as it appeared to be a good reason as any.
But as the same applies to the rags who also complained about no pre-season, yet here we are at the business end of the season Champions and runner up.
So is pre-season important or just a commercial part that teams use to showcase who we are ?
Pre-season is of course somewhat important - readying the squad for top competition.
===
But our slow start - IMO - was down to the fact that our defense was shambolic.

We bring in Dias and BOOM! - defense becomes rock solid and we start a winning streak unseen in P/L history - breaking record after record.

Pre-season is hugely important, especially to City with Pep's intricate tactical game but also for any teams with new managers.
Pre-season allows managers to train the team in new formations and tactics, tweak players roles within those tactics and allow new players to settle in to a new squad that may have new ways of playing compared to what they have been used to.
Building the fitness is a big part of it but I genuinely believe that the biggest role pre season has is to allow the manager to fine tune and retrain his team without the pressure of playing a game every three days. During the season we would have had very little chance to work on the tactical side of the game as we would have been mainly working on recovery and pre-game preparation.
The games abroad are just a tiny part of the whole pre-season process, the most important work happens outside of these 2 hour friendlies.
Having players go from having a couple of weeks off then straight into a new season is a really, really difficult way of approaching a new season and it's no surprise ourselves and United both struggled for rhythm and full fitness for the first few months.
That's not to minimise the impact of Dias though, obviously he has been huge for us but I think if we had a proper pre-season then we would have seen a lot more impact from Torres as he would have had more time to integrate into the team and get used to our way of playing.
I think next season will be the same unfortunately, I don't think there's a lot of time between the Euros ending and the season starting so it may be the same again. I certainly don't expect any new players we sign this summer to hit the ground running.

If we win the CL city will be playing in the World Mickey Mouse club cup. As we don't play in red and other CFG teams have made it there it will be regarded as that and moved to BBC red button to watch.
We'd have to beat the winners of Europa league first.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.