Wheat Allergy

johnmc

Anyone got one?

Whats the main issue? Like bread you can get certain types that are fine, but is there anything that there isn't a decent subsitute for? I presume the selection of breakfast cereals isnt great?

I have a gluten allergy. If you can't eat wheat, you probably have a problem with gluten, the protein in many wheat, barley, etc, products. There are bread substitutes but most are quite poor. There is one sold at Tesco that looks and feels like real bread. I forget the name but it is made by a professional chef. Good luck...you'll need it.

bluespana said:
I have a gluten allergy. If you can't eat wheat, you probably have a problem with gluten, the protein in many wheat, barley, etc, products. There are bread substitutes but most are quite poor. There is one sold at Tesco that looks and feels like real bread. I forget the name but it is made by a professional chef. Good luck...you'll need it.

Are wheat and gluten allergies one and the same or very similar?

What your main problem then? I don't really eat much bread in any case.

my wife has a similar problem

that bread is called Genius by the way

From what she says, the substitutes for bread, pasta etc aren't great, but you have to recognise that you're not getting the real thing and appreciate the substitute on its own merits.

There's a few good websites around. Lakeland sell wheat and gluten free bread mixes for breadmakers that aren't bad.

You have to get used to things, so nothing battered at the chippy, 99% of anything Chinese is out, as soy sauce has gluten and that's added to pretty much everything unless you're lucky, a lot of Cadbury's chocolate has gluten......

Its a minefield, but its healthier so swings and roundabouts

johnmc said:
bluespana said:

Most people who shouldn't eat wheat are usually gluten intolerant. Gluten is the protein in wheat and some other grains.
There's a litany of symptoms of gluten intolerance. Intestinal problems(bloatng, diarrhea, et al), skin problems, joint pain. If you're diagnosed with this, stop eating gluten completely or you'll pay a heavy price later on...as I found out.

LB: That bread is Genius by the way...the closest to real bread you'll get.

bluespana said:
johnmc said:

Most people who shouldn't eat wheat are usually gluten intolerant. Gluten is the protein in wheat and some other grains.
There's a litany of symptoms of gluten intolerance. Intestinal problems(bloatng, diarrhea, et al), skin problems, joint pain. If you're diagnosed with this, stop eating gluten completely or you'll pay a heavy price later on...as I found out.

The doc has told me not to change my diet though unil they carry out further tests. Now being the NHS he said these tests (camera where the sun don't) will be in about 8 weeks. So for the next 8 weeks i have to carry on suffering even though i know the likely cause. Beggars belief

johnmc said:
bluespana said:

The doc has told me not to change my diet though unil they carry out further tests. Now being the NHS he said these tests (camera where the sun don't) will be in about 8 weeks. So for the next 8 weeks i have to carry on suffering even though i know the likely cause. Beggars belief

It's called coeliac disease. There's loads of stuff on the market and it's expanding all the time. My dad had it and found out when he was in his forties! It's changed his quality of life completely. Better times round the corner.

Also, all of this 'ooh it's a nightmare'. Ok, it was hard work at first sorting out what he could and couldn't eat, but there's an organisation called the Coeliac society that does loads of support, they have a little book they print every year with most of the products you can get at supermarkets and whether you can eat them or not. They also make cards up so that if you go into a restaurant abroad it will explain to the chefs what the condition is. When he was in Spain all of the chefs knew exactly what it was already and what he could and couldn't have. It's a ball ache at first but it's a life style change more than a really bad illness. Tbh I hopee it's what you've got mate and nothing more serious. Best.

johnmc said:
bluespana said:

He told you not to change yr diet cos the biopsy won't be clear if you change yr diet now. I'm sure he'll give you the full details when he knows. You could change and say thanks Doc but no thanks. The only problem they may not help you with further treatment cos they don't know the cause 'officially'. But I'm not exactly sure what treatments they subscribe there. Good luck! It can be hell but once you start managing your diet...you feel better.

bluespana said:
He told you not to change yr diet cos the biopsy won't be clear if you change yr diet now. I'm sure he'll give you the full details when he knows. You could change and say thanks Doc but no thanks. The only problem they may not help you with further treatment cos they don't know the cause 'officially'. But I'm not exactly sure what treatments they subscribe there. Good luck! It can be hell but once you start managing your diet...you feel better.

Thanks mate. Yeah i was aware that my diet shouldnt change so they get the right diagnosis it is just the 8 week waiting time to be honest when it seems pretty clear what it is. I mean the old brad pitts are horrendous at the minute (too much info) but as long as it gets sorted in the end fair enough.

So is there gluten in beer, nann breads and pitta breads then??

johnmc said:
bluespana said:

Thanks mate. Yeah i was aware that my diet shouldnt change so they get the right diagnosis it is just the 8 week waiting time to be honest when it seems pretty clear what it is. I mean the old brad pitts are horrendous at the minute (too much info) but as long as it gets sorted in the end fair enough.

So is there gluten in beer, nann breads and pitta breads then??
Yes, sadly, is the answer but they have gluten free alternatives. You'll discover food shopping is a whole new adventure. The good news: There's more choice in Britain every day. I know all about the Brad Pitts. Never liked him as an actor really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.