When did City first wear sky blue?

First time we are known to have worn blue was in 1887 when we wore royal blue & white stripes. There's still some confusion over the move to sky blue but there is photographic evidence to show we were wearing what looks like white and sky blue halves in 1890.

Some national football histories claim we wore white in the 1890s but I believe we wore sky blue (or Cambridge Blue as we referred to it at the turn of the Century) from the late 1880s.

The masonic story is questionable. I believe this was corrupted at some point in our history and that the true story is that our 1884 black kit with white cross had more to do with the masons. The guy who presented it was a leading mason and I've been in touch with various Masonic archivists which suggests that the white cross had links with the particular branch of teh masons William Beastow (who presented the shirts) was significant in. That style of cross did not seem to have a direct link with St. Mark's church and by the time the club wore the black shirts they were known as Gorton AFC.

The Masonic/sky blue story does seem plausible but from research and discussions I've had with Masonic archivists there is no hard evidence. It's all general comment. The article that appeared in Masonic Quarterly (which was predominantly based on Sidney Rose's memory) does have several mistakes in it, so it's hard to see what fact it is actually based on. It could be true, but as the Masons were very good at documenting their meetings and activities it seems strange that the selection of Blue/links with City isn't really commented on in the minutes of local Masonic branches.

Incidentally, while I was at City a guy from a washing powder company contacted me claiming that their archives contain reference to City's choice of Blue. He claimed that a product called 'Dolly Blue' was used by City to wash their 'white' kit and that over time the shirts changed to sky blue. I pointed out that the shorts would have changed as well, plus he later admitted the story came from the 1920s - years after we first wore blue. You never know though.... Maybe the royal blue and white stripes merged in the 1880s!

Gary James said:
Some national football histories claim we wore white in the 1890s but I believe we wore sky blue (or Cambridge Blue as we referred to it at the turn of the Century) from the late 1880s.
You must be really old!

Is there anything anywhere that would point to the Order of St John and their use of a white cross on a black background, was Beastow say a serving brother with them as well? There would seem to have been some overlap with masons and StJ, certainly in terms of those taking it up.

Gary James said:
First time we are known to have worn blue was in 1887 when we wore royal blue & white stripes. There's still some confusion over the move to sky blue but there is photographic evidence to show we were wearing what looks like white and sky blue halves in 1890.

The masonic story is questionable. I believe this was corrupted at some point in our history and that the true story is that our 1884 black kit with white cross had more to do with the masons. The guy who presented it was a leading mason and I've been in touch with various Masonic archivists which suggests that the white cross had links with the particular branch of teh masons William Beastow (who presented the shirts) was significant in. That style of cross did not seem to have a direct link with St. Mark's church and by the time the club wore the black shirts they were known as Gorton AFC.

The Masonic/sky blue story does seem plausible but from research and discussions I've had with Masonic archivists there is no hard evidence. It's all general comment. The article that appeared in Masonic Quarterly (which was predominantly based on Sidney Rose's memory) does have several mistakes in it, so it's hard to see what fact it is actually based on. It could be true, but as the Masons were very good at documenting their meetings and activities it seems strange that the selection of Blue/links with City isn't really commented on in the minutes of local Masonic branches.

Incidentally, while I was at City a guy from a washing powder company contacted me claiming that their archives contain reference to City's choice of Blue. He claimed that a product called 'Dolly Blue' was used by City to wash their 'white' kit and that over time the shirts changed to sky blue. I pointed out that the shorts would have changed as well, plus he later admitted the story came from the 1920s - years after we first wore blue. You never know though.... Maybe the royal blue and white stripes merged in the 1880s!
How the fu*k do you know all this Gary? seriously,HOW????!!!!!! I'd love to meet you for a pint. The questions you ask of the people you meet just blow me away,I'd love to know how your mind works

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.