When was the time 3 city players were in the same england XI

cleavers said:
neil jung said:
19/04/1978, London: ENGLAND 1-1 BRAZIL; Joe Corrigan, Dave Watson, Peter Barnes.
12/08/2009, Amsterdam: NETHERLANDS 2-2 ENGLAND; Gareth Barry, Shaun Wright-Phillips (46th min sub), Wayne Bridge (84th min sub).

That gap in dates sums up the club in the 30 odd years.

Just widening the thread slightly, what was the gap between any City appearances for England ?

The other interesting point is that its now quite an achievement to have 3 on the pitch at the same time, because most squads are at least 50% foreign, and who knows in the next 12 months we could well have more than 3.

I'd hazard a guess at about 12 years between David White's solitary appearance in Spain in 1992 and SWP's debut in 2004.

lancs blue said:
I'd hazard a guess at about 12 years between David White's solitary appearance in Spain in 1992 and SWP's debut in 2004.

Postwar it was also about 11-12 years between Revie's last England appearance while with City (Oct 1956) and Summerbee's first (Feb 1968).

the last time three city players actually STARTED a game for england was in 1978 in a friendly game v brazil which we drew 1 all. joe corrigan, dave watson and peter barnes.

i seem to recall an england side with 8 liverpool players and 3 from city may have been corrigan watson barnes i think not sure who against might have been italy.....

Cut and paste from the evening news:
SHAUN Wright-Phillips, Gareth Barry and Wayne Bridge hit a new milestone when they helped England to the 3-0 win over Belarus.

It was the first time three City players have started an international since Joe Corrigan, Dave Watson and Peter Barnes in a friendly draw with Brazil at Wembley in 1978. And it was the first time it has happened in a competitive match, although Rodney Marsh's substitute appearance in the 1972 European Championship quarter-final first leg against West Germany at Wembley made a trio, with Francis Lee and Colin Bell both starting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.