When we play United..

sir baconface said:
Didn't one goal come from " the blond, balding head of centre half George Heslop" if I recall the MEN's report word for word?

Was in the Scoreboard end at the swamp, where we had to repel an attempted attack by rag supporters at the end of the game.

I was also in the scoreboard end behind the goals and remember a copper giving a City fan a good clump over the head with his truncheon, split his head wide open.
Someone posted a pic on here of it from the daily mirror archive.

If I also remember right the game was rescheduled as it was earlier postponed because of snow.
Rumours at the time were the rags imported 50 tons of snow the night before the game to get it called off, the only snow to be found in the north west. They knew they were going to get a hiding.

I was fourteen years old and I went with a bunch of my rag schoolmates. I,d never been to the swamp before(or since) I got in for nothing.
Two of us squeezing through a turnstile and we were wedged right in the middle of the stretford end. As soon as Best scored all my mates erupted
and I got a few dodgy looks because I wasn,t celebrating. These looks turned a bit nasty when Doyle ? equalised and I got a clout off some red bastard.
Spent the rest of the match being shepherded round by my mates and trying not to appear too jubilant when we scored again, and again.
Looking back it was a dumb thing to do, putting life and limb at risk like that. But when you,re that age you,re allowed to be dumb.!

Went from school from Denton on the 210 & 53 bus with my Dad & Sister ( both RIP ) & my brothers & mates.
In the Scorebord paddock,packed out with Blues who were In the Scorebord end & all over the rest of the swamp.
The first game was abandoned after Busby & Murphy had the pitch watered on the coldest night of the year( cheating,shithouses back then too) this game was an Epiphany for the club . We put on a quite fabulous performance of powerfull attacking football and three - one simply didn't do justice to our superiority. We went on win the title FACup league cup cup winners cup £ charity shield . They never recovered and were relegated after multiple thrashings by City & living under our heel!!. I sense the same is upon us. It is our responsibility. It is our destiny.
CTID
Tick tock...tick tock...tick tock... It's CITY time
#SoD...6 more years... 6 more years...6 more years.

mancunial said:
Was there that night, best actually scored in the 1 st minute, Robbing bookie of the ball then slotting it past Kenny mulhearn. probably the greatest untelevised derby ever, that game that night won city the title for me. City just destroyed them that night Colin scoring after twenty mins, big Georgie heslop(rip) with a great header from a tony Coleman cross, if I can recollect colin got injured being brought down in their penalty area, he was sat at the tunnel while franny smashed it past stepney at the Stretford end. I remember walking up Warwick rd and the rags were crying they knew city were in the verge.
I was in the united road paddock aged 12 for that one. Had to listen to Georgie georgie georgie .. from the fist minute and then joined in with the rendering of our Georgie Heslop version with quite a few fellow blues who were also in the paddock. (paddock was the standing front half of what is now the Slurgie stand) Grief where have 46 years gone?

What a night I remember it well. Stood in the stretford end paddock with my dad. Skip lost the ball to Best in the first few minutes and before we knew it we were one down. That night Colin the king pulled us back into the game and then proceeded to rip the rags too pieces. A performance out of this world. Never to be forgotten. I remember towards the end they carried the king off on a stretcher after he had been pulled down in the penalty area. As they passed just in front of us, they stopped and raised him up on the stretcher to watch Franny crash the ball past Stepney 3 - 1. What a night. Colin the king

What a night for that generation of Blues. All Joe & Malcolms vision came to fruition that night. At the end my mates dad,Sydney Redman,stood arms aloft singing the civil rights song " we HAVE overcome " with tears pouring down his face.
Walked across Warwick Road bridge and Les Tate & the Gorton Blues were toe to toe with their rag mates from Sivoris @belle Vue lake
A truly great night for so many reasons - they've never forgotten it that's for sure. Same again Tuesday.

Tick tock... Tick tock...it's CITY time.

b4dqnm.jpg

Anyone remember when the rags used to sing:

'C-i-t-y,
Manchester C-i-t-y,
nobody knows your name...'

Not heard it for a while- strangely, anyway thought it could be a candidate for a re-write... any ideas?!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.