When you say you are a fan of a club, what does it actually mean?

khoitnm

Team supported
Man City
When you say you are a loyal fan, or when you support a club (Man City, Man Utd, Barca, etc.), what do you really mean?
Disclaimer: there's no right/wrong here, I just curious what do you think.

Case 1) You are a fan of the club because of players: it means that because the club has your favourite players (such as KDB in Man City, Bruno in Man Utd, Messi in Barca, etc.), then you become a fan of the corresponding club. And it may also mean that if your favourite player moves to another club, you may as well support the new club?

Case 2) Because of managers: it means that because Man City has Pep, you support Man City; or Liverpool has Klopp, then you support Liverpool; and similarly, when a manager moves to another club, you also follow the new club. As long as the manager stays in the club, you don't care which players will come and go, you don't care who's the owner, you just support the club because of the manager.

Case 3) Because of the board members: it means that you don't really care who are players in the club, who are the manager of the club, you just support the club because of its board members.

Case 4) Because of the club itself? now, you may say you support the club just because of the club itself, it doesn't matter who's the owner, manager, players, the vision, the direction, you still support the club. But what does exactly "the club" mean? Does it mean the "name of the club", the popularity, the history, the culture, or the location of the club? What do we really mean here?

Case 5) Because of the vision/idea of the club: it means that doesn't matter who are the chairman, owner, director, manager, players; doesn't matter what's the location, the victory historical, the money have they spent/save, etc. doesn't matter! The only thing you care about is whether the vision/idea/decisions made by people in the club help the club, the football to improve or not. For example:
- An owner, a director, a manager may make good decisions in the past, but if they are not good enough anymore, then you won't support them anymore.
- A club may be in Manchester in the past, but if moving it to London will help us to improve more, help football to improve more, then go ahead, you still support it.
- A club may change its name from Manchester City to Man London City, but if that brings benefit, then fine.
- A club may be rich in the past, but if spending all of its money on something else, to make it good for human beings, for football, then go ahead.

Case 6) Because it is your local club: it's just simply because you grow up here. It doesn't matter whether the team goes up or down, rich or poor, no matter what, you still support your club.
(I've just added this case by the suggestion of @LongsightM13 and other comments)

Case 7) Because of the effect from people around you: We may grow up in one town, but our parents, brothers, sisters, our friends support another club, so we follow them. We immersed in the stories, the history, the culture of the club, so we become its supporter.
(this case is suggested by @give it to gordon, @not my fault!, @Magicpole and other comments)

So, where do you put your support?
Note: sometimes there's no black and white, just a spectrum of grays.

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is my personal way of "supporting a club":

- When I was a teenager, I support a club because of players: I followed Ronaldo (Brazil) from Inter to Real Madrid, then I supported Real Madrid because of him, Raul, Figo, Zidane, Beckham, R.Carlos, Casillas... hell, what a team!
- But then, when I grew up a little bit more, I realized Perez treated managers like dirt; they could be sacked right after the champion celebration, then I don't support Real Madrid anymore.

- Then Mourinho appears in Chelsea: at that time, I realized managers is the one who can make a team better than its sum. So I supported a club because of the manager, and don't really care who are players. And I supported Mourinho until I realized he's too toxic; especially with the appearance of Pep. Since then, I support Barca, Bayern, and now Man City (yeah, to be honest, I don't support Man City because of Man City itself).

Now, I support a club because of... somewhere between the manager, board, and the vision/idea (blending between case 2, 3, 4, 5):
- When Mourinho left Chelsea, there's no way I can support Chelsea because Abrahimovich is not much different from Perez, and I don't see the long terms in his decisions. But if Pep leaves Man City, I may still support Man City because of the board, the decisions we made, the vision and the strategy. Just to be clear, I may still follow Pep when he leaves (maybe to Bresica if he chooses Italy).

Last edited:
When you say you are a loyal fan, or when you support a club (Man City, Man Utd, Barca, etc.), what do you really mean?

Case 1) You are a fan of the club because of players: it means that because the club has your favourite players (such as KDB in Man City, Bruno in Man Utd, Messi in Barca, etc.), then you become a fan of the corresponding club. And it may also mean that if your favourite player moves to another club, you may as well support the new club?

Case 2) Because of managers: it means that because Man City has Pep, you support Man City; or Liverpool has Klopp, then you support Liverpool; and similarly, when a manager moves to another club, you also follow the new club. As long as the manager stays in the club, you don't care which players will come and go, you don't care who's the owner, you just support the club because of the manager.

Case 3) Because of the board members: it means that you don't really care who are players in the club, who are the manager of the club, you just support the club because of its board members.

Case 4) Because of the club itself? now, you may say you support the club just because of the club itself, it doesn't matter who's the owner, manager, players, the vision, the direction, you still support the club. But what does exactly "the club" mean? Does it mean the "name of the club", the popularity, the history, the culture, or the location of the club? What do we really mean here?

Case 5) Because of the vision/idea of the club: it means that doesn't matter who are the chairman, owner, director, manager, players; doesn't matter what's the location, the victory historical, the money have they spent/save, etc. doesn't matter! The only thing you care about is whether the vision/idea/decisions made by people in the club help the club, the football to improve or not. For example:
- An owner, a director, a manager may make good decisions in the past, but if they are not good enough anymore, then you won't support them anymore.
- A club may be in Manchester in the past, but if moving it to London will help us to improve more, help football to improve more, then go ahead, you still support it.
- A club may change its name from Manchester City to Man London City, but if that brings benefit, then fine.
- A club may be rich in the past, but if spending all of its money on something else, to make it good for human beings, for football, then go ahead.

- When I was a teenager, I support a club because of players: I followed Ronaldo (Brazil) from Inter to Real Madrid, then I supported Real Madrid because of him, Raul, Figo, Zidane, Beckham, R.Carlos, Carsillas... hell, what a team!
- But then, when I grew up a little bit more, I realized Perez treated managers like dirt; they could be sacked right after the champion celebration, then I don't support Real Madrid anymore.

- Then Mourinho appears in Chelsea: at that time, I realized managers is the one who can make a team better than its sum. So I supported a club because of the manager, and don't really care who are players. And I supported Mourinho until I realized he's too toxic; especially with the appearance of Pep. Since then, I support Barca, Bayern, and now Man City (yeah, to be honest, I don't support Man City because of Man City itself).

Now, I support a club because of... somewhere between the manager, board, and the vision/idea (blending between case 2, 3, 4, 5):
- When Mourinho left Chelsea, there's no way I can support Chelsea because Abrahimovich is not much different from Perez, and I don't see the long terms in his decisions. But if Pep leaves Man City, I may still support Man City because of the board, the decisions we made, the vision and the strategy. Just to be clear, I may still follow Pep when he leaves (maybe to Bresica if he choose Italy).

From a manchester family - all supported City irrespective of players;manager; owner; success etc etc

Just to be even clearer, do what the fuck you like, just don't take-up any tickets for City games that otherwise would go to a genuine supporter.
Your comment sounds quite aggressive, man! Maybe because I say I still support Pep after he leaves Man City? I really want to understand what do you mean by "genuine supporter"?

Your comment sounds quite aggressive, man! Maybe because I say I still support Pep after he leaves Man City? I really want to understand what do you mean by "genuine supporter"?

- When I was a teenager, I support a club because of players: I followed Ronaldo (Brazil) from Inter to Real Madrid, then I supported Real Madrid because of him, Raul, Figo, Zidane, Beckham, R.Carlos, Carsillas... hell, what a team!

- When Mourinho left Chelsea, there's no way I can support Chelsea because Abrahimovich is not much different from Perez, and I don't see the long terms in his decisions. But if Pep leaves Man City, I may still support Man City because of the board, the decisions we made, the vision and the strategy. Just to be clear, I may still follow Pep when he leaves (maybe to Bresica if he chooses Italy).

-----------------------

Oh, hi mod, could you help to move this thread to the "General Thread", I think it's more suitable?

You're a fan boy not a football supporter

I believe if this thread gets alot of replies........your going to learn alot about British football culture, and alot may be quite blunt ;) like above!
And that's exactly what I'm looking for, to understand more about what other people think. Thanks mate!

None of that applies to me.
I don’t even think that deciding to support a club is generally such a “thought through” process.
Unless maybe if you had no initial interest in football . . then decided one day that you should support a team . . and then graded the merits of various clubs to help you make your choice or something?

I just supported City from as young a I can remember, not down to a particular anything, just a holistic sense of supporting City.
And none of my family were into football either, so I wasn’t educated to it or cajoled into it.
That was the way it was is all.

You're a fan boy not a football supporter
Appreciate your reply, but it doesn't help me to understand more (or doesn't help a bad supporter become better). Maybe a more articulate explanation would help?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.