Where Hughes went wrong

Didsbury Dave

I'm glad Hughes was sacked and I welcome the change of manager. And I couldn't really give a damn about the "way" in which he was sacked, to be honest. It's a smokescreen.

He got some things right but he got plenty wrong as well:

* Centre Half Pairing. Whilst I like Lescott, I'm unsure about Toure and their lack of aerial command has been the reason we've conceeded so many this year. He should have bought a ball winner to replace Dunne.

* Repeatedly playing a formation which didn't get the best out of our players. Stevie Ireland, Robinho, Adebayor, De Jong and Bellamy are not suited to our formation

* A lack of desire, or confidence, to change things on the pitch. Hughes hardly ever changed the system or the formation mid-match to counteract the opposition. He was a very poor user of subs. Spurs was a good example.

* Blaming everyone else. He was always putting out stories about what chaos the club were in when he came, and how he needed his own players in. It was bollocks, we had a good side when he came.

I would say overall he bought pretty well, and he did seem to be able to motivate the team, but I think they are the main reasons he failed. I think he's left Mancini with a peach of a job - it won't be that hard to put most of those right.

Didsbury Dave said:
I'm glad Hughes was sacked and I welcome the change of manager. And I couldn't really give a damn about the "way" in which he was sacked, to be honest. It's a smokescreen.

* Centre Half Pairing. Whilst I like Lescott, I'm unsure about Toure and their lack of aerial command has been the reason we've conceeded so many this year. He should have bought a ball winner to replace Dunne.

* Repeatedly playing a formation which didn't get the best out of our players. Stevie Ireland, Robinho, Adebayor, De Jong and Bellamy are not suited to our formation

* A lack of desire, or confidence, to change things on the pitch. Hughes hardly ever changed the system or the formation mid-match to counteract the opposition. He was a very poor user of subs. Spurs was a good example.

* Blaming everyone else. He was always putting out stories about what chaos the club were in when he came, and how he needed his own players in. It was bollocks, we had a good side when he came.

I would say overall he bought pretty well, and he did seem to be able to motivate the team, but I think they are the main reasons he failed. I think he's left Mancini with a peach of a job - it won't be that hard to put most of those right.

I agree.

he was stubborn. Loyal to the Welsh lads in the back room when he should have brought in a top class team around him. He should have added a defensive tactician at the start of this season.

His loyalty to some players this season shot him in the foot too...

Didsbury Dave said:

Sound post. I agree with pretty much everything there.

Didsbury Dave said:

yep, all of that.

Neville Kneville said:
Strange how many people still want to start threads slagging off Hughes when he's actually gone & has no connection to the club wheras most who didn't want him sacking are taliking about what happens next with the new manager. Makes you wonder.

Makes you wonder what?

Imo, hiring the Tafia and not looking for the best coaches etc. Second, not having the ability to sign good foreign players for a decent fee. Top clubs would have sold us the english players that made them a top club. We got 2nd tier good players that would never get us to the top without help.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.