Where is football going, will we go back to roots or the ..

EalingBlue2

american way.

Went to see the Mets play last night out at their new stadium which replaced Shea in 2009 and have to say it was amazing (and a bit horrifying)

Pubs built into the ground that could I would imagine easily have 600 in, proper pubs with full service and it has to be said very good looking barmaids. Catering in the ground was amazing, burgers, pies, ribs, nacho's, taco's, pizza (about 20 flavours), deli, steaks, etc etc etc. The Stands selling beer sold 30 different (and some very premium varieties), there were even dozens and dozens of tables in big open space you could stand and drink at.

But it got me thinking did I love it or was I horrified about it? It was just so good it didn't feel like sport, there was no grit, no crush, no bad service, no cold pie it was just strange.

I just wonder if a British equivalent of this is the way we see ourselves going and if that is what the fans really want.

Have to say going to the pub in the ground, getting served quickly, drinking good beer and having decent meal with no queue was pretty good and I forgot they bring beer to your seats and food which was also a bonus.

The Mets definitely the City of US sport, talking to the fans before the game was comical, different country, different team and different people but all the same issues, the same deprecating humour and the same dislike of a very rich, over achieving and overly famous rival.

I think we like something to moan about so if the COMS served ice cold beer and a wide array of tasty snacks it just wouldn't be the same!!

I know what you mean, aslong as it didn't turn into the orient at the trafford centre i would love it at Eastlands. I'd rather have a nice cold decent beer and say a double whopper burger from a burger king outlet than a shitty asda value burger and a flat beer with soap in it as we do at the minute.

Give me all that but still with the hustle and packed out concourses still there though, no tables or waiter service shit.

Basically i just want decent quality, decent priced food and beer that i can buy and consume well within the 15 min half time break.

The difference between what you experienced at The Mets and here, and I apologise for the cliched triteness that follows, is that service (actually giving the customer what they really want) is a way of life in the States. In this country, customers are somewhat of an inconvenience to employees of organisations.

Loads of reasons as to why that is the case, but not for this thread!

strongbowholic said:
The difference between what you experienced at The Mets and here, and I apologise for the cliched triteness that follows, is that service (actually giving the customer what they really want) is a way of life in the States. In this country, customers are somewhat of an inconvenience to employees of organisations.

It's funny you say this. When I was living in England I remarked often on why the crap our waiter wouldn't help us ever unless I basically found him and tackled him to get his attention.

Then when my wife and I moved to America she couldn't believe how nice and helpful the wait staff everywhere were. Always there if you needed them and usually genuinely friendly.

As to the original intent of this thread, those amenities only come with increased prices both at the ticket office and at the catering facilities themselves. They're fantastic to have make no mistake but you do pay for them.

As to often I think you will find that the germans got the best mix, they got crowded standing room areas inside their stadiums with cheap tickets and fans moaning about slow service at the beertaps.
But they also got the more expensive areas with immaculate service for the more affluent fans and coporate ticketholders.

That way everyone is happy.

strongbowholic said:

This. We still don't get the idea of customer service. We're still treated like cattle. Can't see it changing any time soon. We could learn a lot from America on this front.

malg said:
strongbowholic said:

This. We still don't get the idea of customer service. We're still treated like cattle. Can't see it changing any time soon. We could learn a lot from America on this front.

The idea of service in the USA is second to none - and I am generally critical of most things American. I'm surprised that GC hasn't introduced more elements into CoMS but I think a lot of fans wouldn't like the saccharin-ness of American service.

Roots - think we will never forget where we came from. As for going back to our roots, I wouldn't want to return to the 19th Century, no matter how quaint!

Yes the service is ace and I think that is in part the tipping culture most people working in bars, taxis, catering etc. In NYC it seems a buck a beer is standard so serving a round of 4 in a really polite way can earn you a lot of money over a shift. That said generally people in the US are more likely to say hello or offer you hospitality.

The Mets game was kind of like sports meets disneyworld, the amenities, food , beer and catering of a top attraction combined with the sport and the fans. I did love beers and hot dogs delivered to my seat. They even had enough loos you didn't have to queue for long.

Mind you the situation in Aus is just like England, huge queue's - no choice and expensive.

I reckon the new stuff they will build outside the ground will bring a lot of this stuff to City

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.