Where we were having played the same games last season

ws01

So I had a little time on my hands and wanted to calculated how much better off or worse we were this season compared to last season having played the same fixtures.

Of course I've subbed in the promoted teams for the relegated ones at random Hull (QPR), Cardiff (Wigan), Crystal Palace (Reading).

N.B if there's any easier online way to calculate please let me know for future.

Beat Arsenal @ Home (2012-13 Draw) +2 points
Beat West Ham @ Away (2012-13 Draw) +2 points
Lost Chelsea @ Away (2012-13 Draw) -1 point
Lost Cardiff (Wigan) @ Away (2012-13 Win) -3 points
Beat Everton @ Home (2012-13 Draw) +2 points
Beat Rags @ Home (2012-13 Loss) +3 points
Beat Liverpool @ Home (2012-13 Draw) +2 points
Drew Southampton @ Away (2012-13 Loss) +1 point
Lost Aston Villa @ Away (2012-13 Win) -3 points
Beat Norwich @ Home (2012-13 Loss) +3 points

So that gives us a total of 8 points positive, ahead of last season with the same fixtures.

It goes without saying that Cardiff & Villa stuffed us around a bit. Especially Villa, given the position we were in all match.

If we win today's game that puts us 10 points positive, as we drew there last season. Big big match.

So looking forward I think the games most crucial to us are the mid to lower tablers away - that's Newcastle, Swansea today, Crystal Palace, Hull, Norwich. I'm not as concerned with the bigger teams because I know we'll lift and manage to come out alright from them. We've of course played all the top 8 at home expect for Chelsea, so save for unwarranted complacency I can't see us losing or drawing at the Etihad more than once this season.

Say we only draw the once at home (v Chelsea) for the rest of the season, which is entirely possible given our form there & our remaining opponents - that gives us 55 points from home fixtures.

We win against the five I've mentioned above and that gives us a total of 8 Wins 2 Draws away - for a total of 26 points. We're done playing our notoriously trickier mid-lower table opponents away in Southampton, Stoke & Sunderland, so that's a big plus.

So that's 81 points all up, not even including points won from the rest of the top 8. Arguably a good enough haul to win this season.

It's those 5 I've mentioned that are going to make or break our title chances IMO.

Thanks WS. You have put a lot of effort into this.

I don't think it matters where the games are against the big teams. Home or away the pressure is always on and I don't think home advantage is a real bonus.

However, I do think that the home games against the "weaker" sides is always an advantage. If we continue to score at home against these teams then the big games will take care of themselves.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.