Where Would The Best US Major League Soccer Team Place If Competing In The Premiere League?

BlueMoonAcrossThePond

Team supported
Manchester City
Alexi Lalas is facing criticism over his comments about the quality of teams in US Major League Soccer. Lalas (of whom I'm not a fan) claimed that the best MLS team would likely finish mid-table if competing in the PL. MLS fans think that their best teams would finish higher.

I don't follow MLS - even as a United States citizen. The last time I watched a MLS game - 6 years+ ago - it was boring. The quality of play was poor and it just wasn't enjoyable to watch.

So what do you think?

Would the best MLS team really be competitive in the PL? Able to contend for a mid-table spot?

I really doubt this - I think they'd be bottom table maybe even struggling to avoid relegation - but I don't watch MLS so I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Alexi Lawlas is facing criticism over his comments about the quality of teams in US Major League Soccer. Lawlas (of whom I'm not a fan) claimed that the best MLS team would likely finish mid-table if competing in the PL. MLS fans think that their best teams would finish higher.

I don't follow MLS - even as a United States citizen. The last time I watched a MLS game - 6 years+ ago - it was boring. The quality of play was poor and it just wasn't enjoyable to watch.

So what do you think?

Would the best MLS team really be competitive in the PL? Able to contend for a mid-table spot?

I really doubt this - I think they'd be bottom table maybe even struggling to avoid relegation - but I don't watch MLS so I'm not sure.

Give it another couple of years the pl will be the MLS sadly

Give it another couple of years the pl will be the MLS sadly
Why do you think so?

The PL has an enormous source of income due to its TV licensing agreements - and owners see value in club investment. Over the past 4 years or so - the top world clubs have switched from mostly Spanish/German to mostly English.

Alexi Lawlas is facing criticism over his comments about the quality of teams in US Major League Soccer. Lawlas (of whom I'm not a fan) claimed that the best MLS team would likely finish mid-table if competing in the PL. MLS fans think that their best teams would finish higher.

So what do you think?

They'd do well to stay up.

(Ps. It's Lalas)

It’s presumably improved since but my knowledge is pretty much that Bradley Wright- Phillips was the league’s star player for years on end.

That suggests they’d be no where near even the worst teams in the Premier League. At that time at least.

Well, Miami has an old Messi and an old Suarez and a half-good supporting cast. I am guessing just with those players they could win a few Prem matches. But mid-table? Meh. I’ve watched a fair amount of MLS and the only thing I can come up with is the best teams are consistently mid-Championship level, and a lot of goals are scored thanks to criminally bad defending. The fluidity of play is particularly lacking, as is skill on the ball. An All-Star side could maybe stay up in the Prem?

Lalas is a tool and a half; no one listens to him. Wynalda I listen to on the radio and he’s a bit more knowledgeable albeit he is so bad at picking match outcomes that I think you could actually get rich simply betting the opposite way of his Prem picks. But I’d bet his view would be similar — could hang in and maybe do decently well in Championship but not the Prem.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.