Where's our fight gone ?

While there are many inequalities in this world threespires and there always will be, I can't agree with you on this point.

Many, not all, can improve their position in life if they put their mind to it and want it enough. That would probably come with sacrifice and hard work and I just wonder how many of the 'complainers' would actually be prepared to do that.

I know it's generalizing, but for many it's the way they are, no matter what they have, they will always be left wanting and envious or jealous of those that have more money/material or are more successful.

You can blame the Conservatives, Thatcher, the Right Wing, Boris, along with all and everyone, but sometimes it has to come down to the individual. If they can't be bothered to try and help themselves, then why should anybody else give up their time/money to help them?

Slipper One, I don't disagree with the sentiment above I suspect where we probably disagree is the frequency of the 'sometimes', I think the number of people who at root simply can't be arsed is a lot less than we might initially think.

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that (putting aside exceptional individuals) most of us broadly need some combination of three things to 'better ourselves': (1) your own inner resources (2) a support network, and (3) some luck. The nature and mix of each element varies from person to person but if you have 2 out of the 3 you are in with a chance.

The support network is an interesting one, it can be family/friends but it can also be something more institutional and structural. I was blessed because I had family who were nothing but supportive and made big sacrifices for me, I was reasonably bright and went to a good primary school, that along with some luck has meant I've been able to make my way in the world.

But not everyone has those things and to me government has two 'support' roles (1) look after the most vulnerable who can't look after themselves (2) for the rest of us, remove barriers to people making a success of themselves and maximise the number of people who can get a 'fair shake of the stick'. This is the area where I think we are going backwards. I know people with way more resilience and resolve than I have but they are struggling because barriers are put in their way.

Recently through my job I found myself dealing with some young adults who were hard work and with whom, if I'm being totally honest, my first impression was if you can't be arsed then fine stay a waster all your life. As I got to know them a bit more and they opened up about their lives I couldn't help but reflect that when I was growing up the barriers I faced set against the enablers I had on my side, seemed like a much 'fairer fight'. I just think we would all benefit from living in a country where put our energies into making it a fairer fight for as many people as possible.

You can better yourself in the UK if you work hard, make right choices and have focus and staying power. Its just a great deal easier if you are born into the elite. In fact, if you are, you don't have to exhibit any of those traits to succeed.

The country is riven with inequality and its getting worse year on year. Child poverty, drug abuse, criminality, social services and the health service being increasingly underfunded and all the while the tory controlled media telling us its never been better. The best way of protesting is to ensure the party that have created this mess are never voted into government again.
The problem is that all parties have contributed to this mess. Some more than others granted.

You can better yourself in the UK if you work hard, make right choices and have focus and staying power. Its just a great deal easier if you are born into the elite. In fact, if you are, you don't have to exhibit any of those traits to succeed.

The country is riven with inequality and its getting worse year on year. Child poverty, drug abuse, criminality, social services and the health service being increasingly underfunded and all the while the tory controlled media telling us its never been better. The best way of protesting is to ensure the party that have created this mess are never voted into government again.

Why it's lovely to read a heartfelt post like this there's one point I'd change. The last one.

Since the late 60's it's been the fault of ALL parties, no matter who was in, that this country is like it is. And it's the same in most other western countries as well. No-one planned ahead. They all played lip service to it for sure but actual planning? Nope. We've had boom, bust, boom, bust...as one party leaves and the other party changes stuff. The only people who's lives haven't really changed is the MP's and the rich. Weird that huh! It's as though they are all in it together...

The problem is that all parties have contributed to this mess. Some more than others granted.
That’s the point though. No party is perfect by any means and you have to look at the macro view to see the themes. Under the last Labour government, the level of poverty reduced across all categories, especially children. Guess what has happened since the Tories came in?
and then came this latest version. By far the most inept, venal and dishonest I have ever seen. They are nothing short of a National disgrace.

The housing ladder for young people is a nightmare. My son managed to get on when he was 40 and only then because I subbed him half his deposit. I bought my first house at 23. My daughter is 36 and has just postponed the idea of buying in favour of belatedly having a child through IVF. Not easy for the kids these days.
I’m 39 and got my house at 22 I worked long hours to save for it , 2 young lads at work same age one got 1 4 year ago , other wanted bigger house he still rents

the lad who bought works hard and is in a position to almost buy a second so it can be done

That’s the point though. No party is perfect by any means and you have to look at the macro view to see the themes. Under the last Labour government, the level of poverty reduced across all categories, especially children. Guess what has happened since the Tories came in?
and then came this latest version. By far the most inept, venal and dishonest I have ever seen. They are nothing short of a National disgrace.
I agree the current lot are crap but until the electorate believe there is a credible alternative, they will keep getting voted in I suspect. The electorate didn't believe in Corbyn enough. Let's see if Starmer fairs any better.

I have many friends down here from Venezuela, I would like for some of the people on this thread to come down here and tell them how unfair UK society is. We had 2 lovely old ladies visit relatives a couple of weeks ago, we had a whip round and managed to get$800 to spend on medicines for them to try to get back into the country without the police confiscating them.! Oh, and the great Jeremy Corbyn was a great supporter of Venezuela !!! So, if any of you want to go and protest and make a real difference.....Caracas is yer place,....any takers ?

Too busy being angry with each other to even notice the people pulling the strings. There's no cohesion within western nations, given the multiculty thing. What is it... something about division and conkers?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.