Whit Friday

The cookie monster said:
waterloo blue said:
When I was a kid this meant new clobber from Woods on Stamford St. in Ashton and people pressing money in your hands,which my dad would exchange for pints of bitter in the Assheton Arms and occasionally get us an R.Whites and a bag of crisp.
Manchester's whit walks were always a week later than Ashton's.
Just been past broadoak hotel mate
Stage is getting erected for the band tonight,actually gets pretty busy round there

Oh and i remember woods,didnt you pay on the tick in there?
Probably knowing the old man,do the walks still go on in Ashton on Sunday.

waterloo blue said:
The cookie monster said:
waterloo blue said:
When I was a kid this meant new clobber from Woods on Stamford St. in Ashton and people pressing money in your hands,which my dad would exchange for pints of bitter in the Assheton Arms and occasionally get us an R.Whites and a bag of crisp.
Manchester's whit walks were always a week later than Ashton's.
Just been past broadoak hotel mate
Stage is getting erected for the band tonight,actually gets pretty busy round there

Oh and i remember woods,didnt you pay on the tick in there?
Probably knowing the old man,do the walks still go on in Ashton on Sunday.
I think so mate
Remember years ago it use to start at cedar park up hurst cross or on the market.

I remember almost going to this when i was a kid, i think the weather might of been shit so we didnt. Thank god. Ive just read about it and, im sorry, but its shit

another generation said:
Completely confused by this. Always thought that Whit/Pentecost was a set number of weekends after Easter. Should therefore have been last weekend, as it was in other countries, including here. Is it just the UK that has moved Whit, presumably because of other bank holidays earlier in May?

Whit Sunday was last weekend, Whit Friday follows it.

Went last year, still an excellent day.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Does this mean that not every child is dragged to this and bored to death year on year then

Whit Monday every year for me as kid involved meeting up with 30+ cousins and my 9 Aunties and uncles on my mams side plus there wife's an husbands. Then we would follow the marches around town while the parents all got pissed in every pub along the way. While the kids would play pool or piss about on the machines (slot/arcade) or tried to get the guy at the front of the marches to throw his stick thing in the air or do some kind trick with if . At the end of the day we would end up normally in the Bank of England or the Mitchell Arms in Ancoats.

My gran also used to live right in the middle of those two pubs and used to do a big fuck of buffy in her living room. So you would run from one pub to my grans for a feed to another pub and then back again.

Other than the above which i loved as a kid I've no fucking idea what whit Monday, whit Friday or any of the other whit days is actually about except its a bit religious.

CTID1988 said:
I remember almost going to this when i was a kid, i think the weather might of been shit so we didnt. Thank god. Ive just read about it and, im sorry, but its shit

Your family didn't do it right.

Bit of a band geek, so love Whit Friday. Went to Ashton united last year to listen, Denshaw before that. I'm away this weekend but got a few from the band I play with are out with others, Littleborough for one. Stacksteads for another.

I love Whit Friday, hope the weather stays good so i can spend all afternoon and evening watching the bands in Stalybridge.

siwright said:
another generation said:
Completely confused by this. Always thought that Whit/Pentecost was a set number of weekends after Easter. Should therefore have been last weekend, as it was in other countries, including here. Is it just the UK that has moved Whit, presumably because of other bank holidays earlier in May?
Whit Sunday was last weekend, Whit Friday follows it.
Ta. Always awkward when there's a Friday, both before and some days after the weekend!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.