Who’s gone in the summer?

Cancelo will be an annoying one. We should have just gotten Aarons and let him grow into the role as Walker aged.

Anyway, perhaps we'll return to the original plan. But this would have been a waste of money :(
According to The Sun today, so it must be true, he’s on his way.

I assume if he goes we’ll take a huge loss on him. I don’t understand why we can’t seem to get it right with our full back purchases. Someone in the scouting team needs a kick up the arse.

I assume if he goes we’ll take a huge loss on him. I don’t understand why we can’t seem to get it right with our full back purchases. Someone in the scouting team needs a kick up the arse.
We keep getting starters and try to turn them into backups.

Someone who's start at another top club would hardly accept a backup role here in his prime.

I think the only reason he doesn't play is because our CB's are tragic with Laporte and Stones out. Walker is superior defensively and offers physicality. Cancelo is lightyears ahead of walker offensively though, and if we can fix our CB issues he'll play the majority of our games

Bravo
Otamendi
Angelino
D.Silva
Sane
Cancelo
Jesus

I think Fern will stay and Gundogen will be here as long as Guardiola is

Bravo, Otamendi, D.Silva, Sane, Fernandinho, Stones. The only reason Cancelo isn't starting more is because of our terrible back four and the fact that he needs more time to adjust. We are weak in defence as it is without leaving one of our best defenders (walker) on the bench when he is fit. Jesus will stay because the starting berth is his once Aguero goes which isn't too far away.

I don’t think the squad needs the level of surgery some think but there are a few big decisions to be made and some of those are not crystal clear just now.

Silva is obviously off - and for me that’ll be the saddest of our recent departures. My favourite ever City player - just love the way he plays and how he made us tick. In his early days I was in awe that someone of that class played for my club.
Bravo and Otamendi need to move on - that’s in all parties best interest.

There’s a collective issue at LB that needs addressing - Angelino needs to move on but one of Zinchenko or Mendy needs to go and a more reliable LB come in. This is a big decision and a few weeks ago I’d have pushed for Mendy to go but in recent weeks Pep has found a system that accommodates Mendy and he’s found a bit of form (brain fart at Wolves aside).

There’s a big decision re John Stones - said at the start of the season this was make or break for him and frankly he’s going backwards and presently represents next to zero value to the squad. Of course Stones is home grown which might be a reason to keep him but this needs to be measured against his contribution to the ream which is minimal.

The other major decision is up front. Sergio obviously needs to see out his final year but do we wait until he goes to replace him or do we go double handed and let any apprentice learn from the master - if the squad can accommodate it.

I hope I’m wrong but I suspect Sane will leave on a cut price deal and it would be nice to replace his blistering pace.

I’m sure Txiki will have a number of deals in place to cover our options but a number of the squad have much to prove between now and the end of the year - including the likes of Bernardo who hopefully can hopefully cement a place in central midfield.

I don’t think the squad needs the level of surgery some think but there are a few big decisions to be made and some of those are not crystal clear just now.

Silva is obviously off - and for me that’ll be the saddest of our recent departures. My favourite ever City player - just love the way he plays and how he made us tick. In his early days I was in awe that someone of that class played for my club.
Bravo and Otamendi need to move on - that’s in all parties best interest.

There’s a collective issue at LB that needs addressing - Angelino needs to move on but one of Zinchenko or Mendy needs to go and a more reliable LB come in. This is a big decision and a few weeks ago I’d have pushed for Mendy to go but in recent weeks Pep has found a system that accommodates Mendy and he’s found a bit of form (brain fart at Wolves aside).

There’s a big decision re John Stones - said at the start of the season this was make or break for him and frankly he’s going backwards and presently represents next to zero value to the squad. Of course Stones is home grown which might be a reason to keep him but this needs to be measured against his contribution to the ream which is minimal.

The other major decision is up front. Sergio obviously needs to see out his final year but do we wait until he goes to replace him or do we go double handed and let any apprentice learn from the master - if the squad can accommodate it.

I hope I’m wrong but I suspect Sane will leave on a cut price deal and it would be nice to replace his blistering pace.

I’m sure Txiki will have a number of deals in place to cover our options but a number of the squad have much to prove between now and the end of the year - including the likes of Bernardo who hopefully can hopefully cement a place in central midfield.

Excellent post, Bernardo will be fine once he's back in central midfield.
Rodders will be excellent at center half. Rodders we be great filling in midfield and the back if he's alongside the likes of LP, or Kouillaby.
Angelino may better as an attacking option, but Z has yet to have a run in midfield and deserves a chance. Only Bravo and Ottie should be sold, we need an Alpha center half and a very quick left back.
Up front is a tricky one, as at the very least they will have to match Gabbies work rate.
If Sane goes, we need to look at replacing his pace as well as his goal threat(?).

Who knows for sure....

But here's my guess...

Cancelo - wants more playing time, hasn't impressed
Mendy - occasional off-field incidents, frequently injured, has obviously lost pace, can't defend, can't play up to Monaco form frequently on offense
D. Silva - near the end of his career - probably caching in on a big money dump from Real Miami (I don't blame him for this but think he'd be good in our side for at least another year)
Fernandinho - not sure where he'll end up next - but surely near the end of his career at City (would like to see a 1-year contract extension offered though)
Otters - not pacy enough by a long shot - we'll sell him on
Bravo - not appreciated - plays as backup - should be able to do better elsewhere
====
I expect that we'll sign 5+ players next summer. If so, we may want/need to move more players... some possible other moves:

Jesus - good player, not world class - will get a ton of value from sale which might tempt us. OTOH if he moves on, we'll need to replace him - moreover, Kun is nearing the end of his career which might dictate 2 striker signings - given the defensive rebuild we need (CB or two, LB and RB) - we seem to be out of room to additionally sign a quality striker.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.