Who did you play with or against in school or youth football who made it big time and what were they like as youngsters

Mick Buckley used to occasionally play for our school team but spent most of the time away with England youth set up. Had a decent career at Everton and Later Sunderland.
I understand he passed away at a fairly young age RIP

Former Bradford City defender and current Bradford Park Avenue boss Mark Bower, was in my form class at Upper School. I don't really remember anything too remarkable about him. Apart from he was a really good defender.

Wasn't gobby or a bully. Was a sound lad, from memory.

I played against Tony Whelan, me for Stretford Grammar and he for St Pauls, Urmston (1964-1969).

He was playing for the scums youth teams at the time and used to stand on the Kippax with me wearing his Parka full of City badges. A big Blue was Tony.

We used to hang out and went to many concerts in the 70's particularly to see the Who

My dad grew up in Barrow in Furness and played Saturday and Sunday football right through his childhood and into his late teens. Said he regularly came up against Emlyn Hughes as they were about the same age (lived 2 streets apart) and he was a right big head even then then. Liked to leave the boot in too.
Back in the day, we all used to leave the boot in! It was part and parcel of the match - "Get some blood on yer boots!" came to be our motto.
How times have changed.
Happy days - stretchers for goalposts!

Stephen Morrow- remember him? Scored in a league final for Arsenal years ago. Tony Adams lifted him up to celebrate at full time, dropped him and he dislocated his shoulder.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.