Who is Your Favourite Ancient Roman?

BimboBob said:
wolfg.jpg
What the fuck has Fatima Whitbread got to do with this thread?

Vespasian

built the Colosseum. was quite fair minded towards his critics and taxed piss taking literally

chabal said:
stony said:
Julius Caesar by a long way.

Great general and incredible charisma but it was he who ultimately ruined the republic and created the rule of emperors.

One of the great tragedies of the ancient world.

But he was a brilliant man. The words Tzar and kaiser are derived from Ceaser. How fucking awesome do you have to be for your last name to mean Emporer in a different language. About as awesome as Julius Caesar I expect.
Have a read of The Emperor Series by Conn Iggulden. He did a series about Ghengis Khan too and that is almost as good.

urban genie said:
Vespasian

built the Colosseum. was quite fair minded towards his critics and taxed piss taking literally

Flavian Amphitheatre I think you'll find ;-)

Colosseum was the name of the statue of Nero in his Golden House.

Do agree with Vespasian though. Took power from the successive disasters of Otho, Galba and Vitellius, stablised the empire and had an able son in Titus. Shame the other was so hopeless in Domitian.

And by the way, I got a record (at home) seven answers of zero in Pointless when asked to provide the Twelve Caesars by Suetonius.

Seneca

My favourite philosopher. Always pepare for the worst, if it happens you won't be disappointed, if it dosen't happen, celebrate!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.