Who picks the team

Silva Citizen

A conversation with Ric on another thread got me thinking.

Especially in light of recent events, Pep coming in, Pellers going out. Who actually picks the team.

The first team has looked lethargic for months, we have all seen the threads about slow build up, slow defenders, lack of camaraderie etc.

Today (Chelsea cup) many of the kids showed that they are ready to at least be introduced gradually / individually to the first team. As Ric pointed out, todays team selection must have been either rubber stamped or picked at the insistence of the hierarchy.

I am in no way suggesting that we should play all of the kids all of the time, but the pace of there play is what we need to inject into the first team. The "spin" from the club is that all teams shall play the same and that the EDS is there to develop the future.

We generally agree the likes of Yaya, MDM, Willie, will definitely be moved on in the next window, whilst Kolarov, Zabba, Clichy, Navas, Silva (unfortunately) all have question marks over there futures. So we are in a rebuilding process.

Is Pelligrini picking the team upon loyalty / name or other reasons

Are the hierarchy trying to keep the values of certain players up by insisting upon playing them ?

I for one cant understand why we try to put square pegs into round holes instead of using the emerging talent to fill the gaps, especially at this point when we need to know who can adapt to the first team, and where we need to concentrate the summer spending.

I can't see Pep coming in and accepting others picking the team or players for him -or will he, is this the way they worked at Barca ?

So right now, (and I am not calling Pellers because whatever the situation the results are still our best under a single coach (not manager)) who is rubber stamping team selection, and on what basis is the team being selected.

Whatever it is, today aside, most agree that the way we are shuffling round to cover injuries is not producing our best football and results.

Pellegrini picks the team - he just loves shoving Square pegs into smaller round holes. Nobody else to blame but him. Sorry.

pellers just picked the team to stick 2 fingers up at the FA for not changing the date back to the saturday. We all know the Chumps League is the highest priority for the top brass (which we wont win) so we knew this was gonna happen we knew weeks we wouldnt win against a strong Chelsea team without a strong 1st team team.

but the way the game went, the dismal performances of the experienced players that did play and the constant bad defending is just highlighting how poor Pellegrini is.

Feel sorry for the kids, hope they dont feel like they arent good enough after that. Pellegrini, Fernando, Caballero, MDM let them down today.

But my optimism for the rest of the season has drained away now. The only form we have is bad. we cant defend. We play counter attack but ship goals. We've turned into Liverpool under Brendan Rodgers. its fecking disgusting.

I think in general terms Pellers picks the team but with certain stipulations IE if fit certainly until the last couple of months Yaya must play. This is either a contract thing or words from above.

The powers above need to have a word about the keeper position, if Willy was playing normally he'd be dropped.

If both Pellers and the club have faith in him (remember he usually plays 2 games together) play him in Kiev we'll have a second leg if needed to get through but, don't play him at Wembley, he'll be toast in the summer, has had a game there v Arse where he was awful and I fear we'll lose with him playing.

Sorry gone a bit off track towards the end of my post.

A conversation with Ric on another thread got me thinking.

Especially in light of recent events, Pep coming in, Pellers going out. Who actually picks the team.

The first team has looked lethargic for months, we have all seen the threads about slow build up, slow defenders, lack of camaraderie etc.

Today (Chelsea cup) many of the kids showed that they are ready to at least be introduced gradually / individually to the first team. As Ric pointed out, todays team selection must have been either rubber stamped or picked at the insistence of the hierarchy.

I am in no way suggesting that we should play all of the kids all of the time, but the pace of there play is what we need to inject into the first team. The "spin" from the club is that all teams shall play the same and that the EDS is there to develop the future.

We generally agree the likes of Yaya, MDM, Willie, will definitely be moved on in the next window, whilst Kolarov, Zabba, Clichy, Navas, Silva (unfortunately) all have question marks over there futures. So we are in a rebuilding process.

Is Pelligrini picking the team upon loyalty / name or other reasons

Are the hierarchy trying to keep the values of certain players up by insisting upon playing them ?

I for one cant understand why we try to put square pegs into round holes instead of using the emerging talent to fill the gaps, especially at this point when we need to know who can adapt to the first team, and where we need to concentrate the summer spending.

I can't see Pep coming in and accepting others picking the team or players for him -or will he, is this the way they worked at Barca ?

So right now, (and I am not calling Pellers because whatever the situation the results are still our best under a single coach (not manager)) who is rubber stamping team selection, and on what basis is the team being selected.

Whatever it is, today aside, most agree that the way we are shuffling round to cover injuries is not producing our best football and results.
I don't see where the doubts over Silva come from but yesterday made me doubt Pellegrini even more.

The problem area is midfield but it looks like we have young players who are ready to play there.

I am sure Pellegrini picks the side and probably runs it past txiki.

The thing is in my opinion we have been found out defensively ages ago. Yesterday was a good example whereby decent players can easily beat the high defensive line with a quick one two at the edge of the box.

It's too late to change it now but I fear for Sunday as this is exactly the tactics Liverpool will use.

Don't get me wrong here I think Pellers plays the right type of football philosophy but engages in the wrong tactics. I also think he should have integrated the youngsters earlier in the season on a individual basis rather than collectively as yesterday.

It is clear we have some talent there. Hopefully Pep can realise some of their potential in the next few years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.