Who Remembers Thread

telephone_lock_pick.jpg

Phone locks, a bit of a problem when someone was breaking into your house and you couldn't phone the police as you couldn't find the fcuking key
Ah yes, the phone lock that didn't work. Well it did, but there was a way around it. Pick up the receiver and tap the number you wanted on the black bits of plastic the receiver rested on. Tap once for one, wait half a scond, tap twice for two and so on. It worked a treat.

It was almost as lucrative as climbing the back wall of Off Licences to grab the empty soda syphons, take them inside the shop, and receive the 50p deposit for each one returned. 50p would buy a few pints in those days.

Free 'phone calls or cash in your hand. It depended on the circumstances. Happy memories of both.

The house I grew up in was a 1904 terraced house. It was the end house and had the outside toilet for its row of houses.

We still had that outside toilet (the rest of the street wasn’t using it by then though) in the 80s when I was young.

Eventually my Dad converted it into his shed, and eventually extended the kitchen into this space.

Ah yes, the phone lock that didn't work. Well it did, but there was a way around it. Pick up the receiver and tap the number you wanted on the black bits of plastic the receiver rested on. Tap once for one, wait half a scond, tap twice for two and so on. It worked a treat.

It was almost as lucrative as climbing the back wall of Off Licences to grab the empty soda syphons, take them inside the shop, and receive the 50p deposit for each one returned. 50p would buy a few pints in those days.

Free 'phone calls or cash in your hand. It depended on the circumstances. Happy memories of both.
That phone trick also worked on the phones in the red telephone boxes.
Me and my mates used to nick crates of returnable bottles from the back yards of pubs, then cash them in at Victoria Wine, or Threshers for fag money. Got chased by landlords a few times, but never caught. Looking back, it’s amazing we didn’t get a kicking at least once.

Remember the phone hack that produced a tone to match the then tones generated by dialling? Free calls.

When I was a kid we had a long brass toasting-fork for toasting bread infront of the coal fire.
Anyone got one now?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.