Who will be our main rivals this season?

When people say that we'd have been better off with a CF yesterday, they think that the CF would have done all the work that the player he replaces did but would have been more clinical on top of it.

Problem is that's far from guaranteed. Arguably, we have more control in big games with a false 9 than with a proper CF. Pressing is better and we are less predictable.

To put it differently, there are trade-offs between playing with a CF and playing with a false 9, and it's far from clear that we'd be better off with a classical No 9. Personally, I think that this team is probably slightly better than the 17/18 team. I know, that's a bold claim, time will tell.

Agree with a lot of that post but better than the 2017/18 team is a bold claim at this minute. As you say the system suits us against the biggest sides but winning titles also requires you to dispatch the smallers sides consistently. For me the 2017/18 was capable of beating the best sides and the bus parkers and also play fantastically attacking football, so will always be my favourite.

Agree with a lot of that post but better than the 2017/18 team is a bold claim at this minute. As you say the system suits us against the biggest sides but winning titles also requires you to dispatch the smallers sides consistently. For me the 2017/18 was capable of beating the best sides and the bus parkers and also play fantastically attacking football, so will always be my favourite.
At the risk of causing controversy, I think the 17/18 team is a tad overrated due to reaching 100 points. It was definitely the most entertaining; an unadulterated Pep side that pressed like mad and played with flying wingers, but it was imo a weaker team than the two later title winning sides. It was less tactically evolved (only the 2nd year of Pep's tenure), it struggled against being pressed, and there was less variety in how we played. We were bailed out by a lot of late winners, teams didn't really know how to play against us, we still struggled with failing to convert chances in many games, we were still vulnerable to counters.

It was not better against good sides or weak sides than the 18/19 team or arguably last season's team (although more consistent than last year's team).

The 17/18 side was stellar but I don't believe that team could have excelled like this one did in the past week of fixtures. In fact the one time that team had 3 ultra difficult games on the bounce it lost all 3. No team will ever match the 17/18 side for excitement but I agree with @alexmcity that this current team has more to it than the 17/18 side.

Chelsea. City have a flaw in goalscoring that means that Chelsea and Liverpool have some hope.

Liverpool need Salah to be at that level all season because without him they are very ordinary. They are a one man team. Chelsea I think are a better side than Liverpool.

I was a bit pessimistic at the start of the season because I thought city's transfer window was poor.

If KDB gets fit (as he did last season) no one can stop city.

Chelsea. City have a flaw in goalscoring that means that Chelsea and Liverpool have some hope.

Liverpool need Salah to be at that level all season because without him they are very ordinary. They are a one man team. Chelsea I think are a better side than Liverpool.

I was a bit pessimistic at the start of the season because I thought city's transfer window was poor.

If KDB gets fit (as he did last season) no one can stop city.

If Salah played for us there wouldn't be a title race

At the risk of causing controversy, I think the 17/18 team is a tad overrated due to reaching 100 points. It was definitely the most entertaining; an unadulterated Pep side that pressed like mad and played with flying wingers, but it was imo a weaker team than the two later title winning sides. It was less tactically evolved (only the 2nd year of Pep's tenure), it struggled against being pressed, and there was less variety in how we played. We were bailed out by a lot of late winners, teams didn't really know how to play against us, we still struggled with failing to convert chances in many games, we were still vulnerable to counters.

It was not better against good sides or weak sides than the 18/19 team or arguably last season's team (although more consistent than last year's team).

The 17/18 side was stellar but I don't believe that team could have excelled like this one did in the past week of fixtures. In fact the one time that team had 3 ultra difficult games on the bounce it lost all 3. No team will ever match the 17/18 side for excitement but I agree with @alexmcity that this current team has more to it than the 17/18 side.

No, not controversial at all and I think you make some very valid points. After writing my post I started to question myself whether the 2018/2019 side was better, and its difficult to argue against it.

In retrospect I would probably say the 2017/18 side was the most enjoyable to watch, personally for me as I love watching wingers in full flow.

With regard tactically, might have to disagree there. We have seen evolutions since but the 2017/18 side was a real sea change in tactics, with the keeper playing as sweeper, centre halves splitting to receive the ball and two midfielders (silva and KDB) playing in the pockets, as 8s, to subtlety slide the pass in behind the fullbacks. We have evolved even refined our game since, mainly due to other sides tactics, but that was a revolutionary change and is still the basis for a lot of our play now. Coincidentally it was Chelsea away that year, and arguably Utd away the year before, which offered the first glimpse of a side totally at ease at dominating possession, suffocating the opposition, which we so enjoyed yesterday and particularly against Chelsea last week. The difference being, so far with the current side, we were more effective in the oppositions box in the 2017/18 season.

I take your point about the three matches, but they were all pretty freakish in nature and I really think the pendulum of luck turned against us in those games. We did win three on the spin that year against Arsenal in the Carabao cup final (Peps first trophy) , then back at Arsenal on Thursday night and Chelsea on the Sunday. Which were huge games at the time.

Thanks for the well thought out post, really enjoyed reading it. Still early days and a great topic to have to argue over.

Good job he's 29. LFC made a massive mistake in not rebuilding after their CL and Premier League wins. I think this season is their last chance before they have to rebuild.

Yeah they should have offloaded that front three one by one over consecutive seasons. Given the Moneyball pedigree of their owners I'm surprised they didn't

They could have fetched some decent wedge for Firmino and Mané, plus a potentially enormous sum for Salah. Now there are far fewer potential suitors on the market and their assets are losing value every month

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.