Who will get the honour of City #9 shirt? (long post)

MadchesterCity

Haalander; There can be only one, two, THREE!
Team supported
‘Rodri, Rodri, Rodri’ !!! PinchMe PinchMe PinchMe THREE was the magic number !!! CITY CITY CITY Manchester England Europe
The coveted number 9 shirt is still available.

Who will get the honour of this shirt

Famous number 9's

Fernando Torres
Ian Rush
Robbie Fowler
Alan Shearer
Samuel Etoo
Filippo Inzaghi
Ronaldo
Gabriel Batistuta
Puskas
Bobby Charlton
Gerd Muller
Fernando Morientes
Patrick Kluivert
Hugo Sanchez
Rudi Voller
Davor Suker

Famous City number 9's

It was the no. 9 shirt that had all the glamour to me though neither Smith (United's Jack) nor Boothway (whose goal per game ratio was 75%) was a particularly elegant player. They did nonetheless know how to put the ball in the onion bag. Incidentally George Smith (No.10), a City goal-scoring inside left with Boothway, had a 45% strike rate.

Before and after World War 2 a lot of attention (and later money) was paid to no. 9, the centre forward, the man expected to be top scorer at the end of the season, viz Lawton, Milburn, Rooke, Rowley, Drake, Bentley, Mortensen, Swinbourne, Lofthouse, Holden, Pointer, Fenton, Ford, Dodds, Dooley, Allen R., Lewis.

City had Constantine (strike rate 72.2%), Jackson, Andy Black, Eddie McMorran, Verdi Godwin, Bill Sowden, Denis Westcott, Don Revie, Bill McAdams, Bert Lister, Paul Aimson, Andy Kerr, Gerry Baker, Alec Harley (65%), sometimes partner, Peter Dobing (34%), Jimmy Murray, partner Derek Kevan, (no.10, 71%), Francis Lee, Bobby Owen, Wyn Davies, Barney Daniels, Joe Royle, Ron Futcher (70%), Michael Robinson, Kevin Reeves, Derek Parlane, Imre Varadi, later Niall Quinn and Uwe Rösler - all wearing the no. 9 shirt with varying degrees of success.

There were some who should have worn the shirt to conform with expectations, like Denis Law, Joe Hayes, Derek Kevan, Jimmy Tolmie and Brian Kidd. Then there were others who should never have come near it like Don Revie and Steve Mackenzie who wore it for some esoteric tactical reasons - though in Revie's case the tactic did seem to work in the mid-fifties for a very attractive team (Trautmann, Paul, Barnes etc.) in which he was a really scheming midfielder.

When the squad system came into force, numbers came to mean very little though I seem to remember Francis Lee and Mike Summerbee staying in the middle most of the time they wore no. 9, and Mike Doyle donning it when selected as centre forward.

The strike rates of some old-timers make interesting reading: Peter Doherty 61%, Horace Barnes 53%, Tommy Browell 47%, Tommy Johnson (holder of 38 in a season record) 47%, Frank Roberts 58%, Fred Tilson 48%, Billy Gillespie 57%, Colin Bell 31%, and then the goal-scoring wingers: Meredith 38%, Brook 36%, Tueart 41%.

They are very interesting statistics and of course, not foolproof: goalscoring depends on service and opportunity, and then if a substitute, how long on the field.

It's a far cry from the days when full backs (numbers 2 & 3) were not expected to advance in front of the workers, their wing halves (numbers 4 & 6), or wander across to the far side. The no.5 was the iron man centre half (often the captain). The inside forwards were the brains of the team, and the fast and/or twinkle-toed wingers all conspired to provide the glamour boy no.9 with the goal chances. This system was at all levels from the local park to the international scene.

I wonder if Shaun Goater ever asked for the magical no.9 shirt!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcivta.com/mcivta/8/94.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcivta.com/mcivta/8/94.html</a>

The player that lands it has a chance of being a legend in the new era of football - where Manchester City dominate Europe for the next 50 years - I hope

Who will be our top scorer this season and will he be wearing number 9?

I can't remember the last serious use by a coach or manager of the term 'centre-forward'. The No.9 shirt will always be associated with a 'large' specimen often with reasonable goalscoring qualities, who could thunder a shot in with either foot, and if he headed the ball and it hit a post, it would rebound to the halfway line. The most recent to fit this description, and it doesn't give me a great deal of pleasure(!) to say so, is King Creosote.

If we got Dzeko, he seems to be a 'centre-forward'! I think we haven't got anyone at the moment who would fit my picture of a No.9. Is he any good with his head?

Uwe , wore No.28 and later No.11 and pretty sure Reeves used to wear 11 as well , neither as far as I recall ever wore the No. 9 ?

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
I can't remember the last serious use by a coach or manager of the term 'centre-forward'. The No.9 shirt will always be associated with a 'large' specimen often with reasonable goalscoring qualities, who could thunder a shot in with either foot, and if he headed the ball and it hit a post, it would rebound to the halfway line. The most recent to fit this description, and it doesn't give me a great deal of pleasure(!) to say so, is King Creosote.

If we got Dzeko, he seems to be a 'centre-forward'! I think we haven't got anyone at the moment who would fit my picture of a No.9. Is he any good with his head?

Yeah I am sure he could be classed as a Centre Forward due to his size and aerial dominance

PACE

Perhaps not his greatest asset but he still got around well

AERIAL ABILITY

Dzeko headed Wolfburg’s equaliser from Marcel Schaefer’s cross, but it would have been more difficult to miss from just a few yards out.

At 6ft 4in tall, he should have had a field day against a makeshift three-man defence that included two midfielders and the diminutive Patrice Evra, but his team-mates failed to pick him out on a number of occasions in the first half.

He still provided a valuable decoy when Andrea Barzagli and Zvjezdan Misimovic were presented with free headers, and was clinical when presented with a similar chance himself.

TOUCH

Surprisingly good for a big guy. Two-footed and comfortable on the ball, he was more dangerous on the ground than in the air in the first half, giving Fletcher in particular plenty to worry about. Showed good feet and was happy to take on opponents.

Not quite on a par with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but the Bosnia target man could probably teach Peter Crouch a thing or two. Deceptively skilful, he had more than a few tricks up his sleeve and was not lacking the confidence to show it.

WORK RATE

Impressive. Not afraid to drop deep to collect the ball and help with the link-up play. Also prepared to drift wide into the channels, dragging United defenders with him.
Seemed to step up a gear in the second half as Wolfsburg began to stretch Sir Alex Ferguson’s side.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1234289/Wolfsburgs-wanted-man-Edin-Dzeko-shows-Manchester-United-hes-head-boy.html#ixzz0uIifnkTG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z0uIifnkTG</a>
"

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en/news/2466/goalcom-50/2009/07/22/1394725/goalcom-50-edin-dzeko-17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en/news/2466/goalco ... n-dzeko-17</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.