Who's better?

Latics Fan SJK

Boredom, as per, has set in at work on a Friday, so here I am.

I was curious as to who you all thought was the better player, in their prime, and who you would have in your team out of the two.

Please try and take any hatred or bias out of the equation....

Prime Scholes v Prime Gerrard
I'd go with Scholes personally. Whilst Gerrard was your lungbusting box to box midfielder and capable of winning a match on his own, I'd have preferred a Scholes who, for years, could control the pace of a match and make the game look quite simple.

Prime Keane v Prime Vieira
Vieira for me. Although I hated Keane, and still do, he was brilliant in what he did. Carried United on many occasion, typically the CL SF in Turin in 99, and although he wasn't technically brilliant, his presence on the pitch alone helped United win games. Having said that, Vieira brought a similar steel to a superb Arsenal side, and also had a lot of tools in his box. Box to box, power, tackling, passing, shooting. An all round brilliant midfielder.

Prime Sol Campbell v Prime Rio Ferdinand
I'm edging towards Rio here, simply because aswell as being an excellent defender, he was brilliant footballer a few years back. Don't get me wrong, I thought Campbell was immense, but Rio edges it for me.

Prime Shearer v Prime Henry
Very tough one. I've always loves Shearer the footballer. Old fashioned CF who could finish from anywhere. Classic poacher, bullet headers, long range volleys and very strong. Henry though, what a player. Lightning quick, skillful, brilliant finisher and capable of winning a match on his own. If I had to pick one, Henry...JUST.

Gerrard, had everything Scholes had and more.

Paddy V, imo the best central midfielder to have played in the Premeirship.

Campbell, had Ferdinand's excellent pace and reading of the game but was much stronger than Wio.

Henry, the best player to have played in the Premiership, how he never won a Ballon D'or how still don't know.

sjk2008 said:

I was curious as to who you all thought was the better player, in their prime, and who you would have in your team out of the two.

Gerrard for me more all round player can actually tackle (a bit) and his abilities to get thouse around him motivated can not be underestimated (Istanbul being a prime example) still a **** tho

Viera more finesse and a as you said a better all round player.

Close one this would have to opt for Sol Campbell as I feel he offered more to a team than Rio. IMO though a prime Woodgate would get my vote over both

HA not even Close (surprisingly) Shearer all day. Va Va Voom my arse. Before he did his cruciate in 97 he was already well on his way to being a legend then after the injury when his body wasn't capable of performing as it used to he completely reinvented his game and was still fairly successful scoring lots of goals and arguably offering more to the team with his link up play and bringing others in to the game. Wasnt afraid to help out at the back either I reckon the number of corners he headed out at the near post must be close to the number of goals he scored. If it was medically possible i would have his babies thats how much i love him.

Good pundit too ha ha

Gerrard, Paddy V, Sol, Henry (Shearer gets close though).<br /><br />-- Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:07 pm --<br /><br />
ChrisNUFC said:
sjk2008 said:

Gerrard for me more all round player can actually tackle (a bit) and his abilities to get thouse around him motivated can not be underestimated (Istanbul being a prime example) still a **** tho

Close one this would have to opt for Sol Campbell as I feel he offered more to a team than Rio. IMO though a prime Woodgate would get my vote over both

HA not even Close (surprisingly) Shearer all day. Va Va Voom my arse. Before he did his cruciate in 97 he was already well on his way to being a legend then after the injury when his body wasn't capable of performing as it used to he completely reinvented his game and was still fairly successful scoring lots of goals and arguably offering more to the team with his link up play and bringing others in to the game. Wasnt afraid to help out at the back either I reckon the number of corners he headed out at the near post must be close to the number of goals he scored. If it was medically possible i would have his babies thats how much i love him.

Good pundit too ha ha
So its fair to say Henry wasn't close to Shearer partly due to your bias? ;)

BlueTG said:
Gerrard, Paddy V, Sol, Henry (Shearer gets close though).

-- Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:07 pm --

ChrisNUFC said:
sjk2008 said:

Good pundit too ha ha
So its fair to say Henry wasn't close to Shearer partly due to your bias? ;)

That is indeed a fair comment! In the same way i can't see rio getting many votes ;)<br /><br />-- Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:23 pm --<br /><br />
Josh Blue said:
Steve Guppy is the best left sided midfielder this country as produced. He was an absoulete gem.

Pffffttttttt

No way I think you will find nicky papavasiliou > Steve Guppy (not English but hell of a player)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.