Who's the greatest American band of all time?

Steppenwolf and J Geils band were two of my favourites.
Geils were an.unbelieveable live band. Peter Wolf is a legend around these parts. The original deejay turned rockstar. Or one of em...
Unfortunately, except for a couple of songs, they were really not that well known outside of their hometown of Boston. An incredible blues-based outfit they were. So much great material other than the likes of Freeze Frame etc. But around here, their live shows are the stuff of legend.

And much as we're talking about rock, let's not fail to point out that the UK has IMO failed to produce a single hip-hop artist within ass-sniffing distance of any of the US top 25, maybe even 50, and like it or not, that matters in this day and age to the youngsters (since I think everyone on this thread is as old and white as me).
It's kinda like saying we haven't managed to produce a single country singer to match the US top 25. Hip hop is a pretty young genre in the UK, certainly in terms of mainstream success. Most of the legendary American rappers are in the 50s now, and some are in their 60s. By contrast, Dizzee Rascal is probably the first mainstream success story, and he's still only 36. There are a few earlier ones like Wiley, who are in their 40s, but for the most part, there's not been time to get those legendary figures.

But equally you could point to a lack of great/successful artists in electronic music, house music and other sorts of club music from the States. Different countries have different music scenes.

What I also find interesting is how people who are considered legendary in one country aren't that well known in another outside of people who are really into the genre. So when I first moved in with an American friend he was talking about Jay-Z in these vaunted tones. And I'd been a fan of rap growing up, and had a few Dr. Dre, Eminem, NWA, etc, albums, but I genuinely couldn't have told him a single Jay-Z song. I think most people in the UK couldn't have told you much about his career until he became part of a celebrity couple with Beyonce. His sixth album The Blueprint reached number 30 in the UK charts despite being incredibly critically acclaimed, and other rappers having a lot of success, and it wasn't until 2009 that he broke the top 10 and 2013 on his twelfth album that he finally got a number one in the UK. Not that that's a measure of his quality, but the fact that someone didn't make an impact in another country doesn't mean they're not a great artist/singer/band/etc.

All right, the gloves are off.

No one cares about The Jam here. I liked them fine but they were derivative -- the early progenitors of Green Day. Not that they sound like Green Day -- I mean that as with Green Day, even their evolution away from their roots was derivative of what other bands had done (until Weller did Style Council, which nearly caused me to strangle my college roommate when he dared to play it once).

10cc is an even bigger nobody here too; had one hit single I liked when I was a kid. I believe I've made my feelings on Radiohead clear many times -- hookless, arid, fake-depressive Pink Floyd rip-off merchants. I've never understood the appeal of Jethro Tull. I think Mark Knopfler is an overrated, overwrought, arrogant gaybaiter -- I cannot stand that guy, even if his music can be okay in small doses. Stone Roses did one record I absolutely loved and then disappeared.

Everyone else, fair enough, and as noted the top four in the pantheon (Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, Who) and arguably top five if you include Pink Floyd are British. The U.S. cannot compete. Not even close.

But all punk owes a debt to the MC5, the New York Dolls and The Ramones, not to mention the Velvet Underground (though Nico was German), great as The Pistols and The Clash are/were.

And when we get to "solo" artists, I think we'll find the US has just as many if not more in the pantheon than the UK, including a number I mentioned before.

And much as we're talking about rock, let's not fail to point out that the UK has IMO failed to produce a single hip-hop artist within ass-sniffing distance of any of the US top 25, maybe even 50, and like it or not, that matters in this day and age to the youngsters (since I think everyone on this thread is as old and white as me).

But at least we agree on the Beach Boys and Steely Dan, both of whom I like more than Springsteen, even though I think Springsteen is probably our greatest true rocker objectively.
Very good post as usual - spot on with The Jam for me, Weller was never better than as a solo artist for me (even though he has a regular band).

Did he ever beco big in the U.S?

Once saw him billed at the ampi theatre in the Hollywood hills once when I was watching CSN...........

Thanks for the reminder @lloydie
REM another good shout
to clarify for those unaware :)
The Funk Brothers featuring the vocal talents of;-

Not sure they qualify as "bands" (more likely "groups") but, at a s-t-r-e-t-c-h, what about those fantastic Motown acts back in the sixties/seventies?
Diana Ross and the Supremes
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
Gladys Knight and the Pips
The Four Tops
Martha Reeves and the Vandellas
The Jackson 5 (think they were Motown)
The Temptations
The Commodores

Etc etc

Wasn't really there best song to be fair. Best known doesn't really mean much in terms of influencing other bands either when it comes to rock, that's just mainstream success(pop charts). Far better band than Boston too for me pound for pound. I think credit needs to be given where it's due to Nirvana, the were a massive influence on 90s rock. I wasn't really a massive fan but they do have plenty of songs I like.

Also that was just one song really, they had their own sound. Led Zep plagiarised so many songs without giving any credit but they are often listed as an influence to many other bands too.

Fuck led zep

Anyhow the best

Talking heads
The beach boys
The black keys

Not read the whole thread but I presume anyone saying Blink 182, without stating categorically its a piss take, has been banned. Perma banned!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.