Who's the greatest American band of all time?

My wife, being a Philly lass, not far from Delaware, loves him, and I do too. The guy is a legend. Read his wikipedia entry -- playing in all 50 states over 50 days, and then there's this gem (important to us because she and I went to school at Georgetown and know M street and its legendary old clubs well) . . .

[Thorogood] was friends with Jimmy Thackery of the Washington, D.C.-based blues band, The Nighthawks. While touring in the 1970s, the Destroyers and the Nighthawks were playing shows in Georgetown at venues across the street from each other. The Destroyers were engaged at the Cellar Door and the Nighthawks at Desperados. At midnight, while both bands played Elmore James' "Madison Blues" in the same key, Thorogood and Thackery left their clubs, met in the middle of M Street, exchanged guitar patch cords and went on to play with the opposite band in the other club.

That is so cool. This is what real artists/musicians, who play for the fun of playing, do.

I once saw George and J.Geils Band on the same bill, supporting The Rolling Stones.

I like Nirvana and they were influential but not anything like to the extent to make a claim for them being the greatest American band. I'd be very interested to know what anyone think was so original about Nirvana too; especially any Pixies fans (I'm not one of those).

FWIW, I do think Boston's first two albums trump anything Nirvana did.

Nirvana, and Pixies too both owe a huge debt to Husker Du for their sound. And personally the Du were better than both.

Saw them at Milton Keynes bowl in the 80’s .. i thought they were bloody awful but each to his own

We went to that. 1985. U2 headlined, but we went just for REM, who were bottom of the bill, and the Ramones.

I recall it peed down all day, and me and then girlfriend left before U2, getting our tickets stamped with 'Passout' and selling them at face value to two young girls who were desperate to see U2. Then waited for mates in the nearest pub. *hic*

Nirvana, and Pixies too both owe a huge debt to Husker Du for their sound. And personally the Du were better than both.
This, this, this, this, this, this, this.

Now, Nirvana MIGHT have eventually ended up "better" some day had they soldiered on. But I doubt it. A lot.

And neither Cobain nor Black Francis are within three standard deviations of Bob Mould as guitarists. They are a wee bit closer as songwriters, but not much. And Husker Du had Grant Hart writing songs too, and he was no slouch either.

What a band. Of all the performers I never saw live, they along with Hendrix are the ones I regret the most, and Hendrix I have an excuse for, since he died when I was 5.

Each to their own. :)

As it should be.

I have owned Nevermind since shortly after it was released and 4 of the first 5 tracks on the album are rather good (the other is a bit of a dirge although not unpleasant), the rest of the album is a bit more of the same but not as good and increasingly unmemorable.

As it should be.

I have owned Nevermind since shortly after it was released and 4 of the first 5 tracks on the album are rather good (the other is a bit of a dirge although not unpleasant), the rest of the album is a bit more of the same but not as good and increasingly unmemorable.
Not sure why you're telling me that, you don't need to justify your opinions on music, it's all personal taste. Boston weren't even in the same stratosphere for talent IMO, I could never listen to two albums full of theirs(yes I gave one a listen and found my self skipping tracks). I'm not even a massive fan of Nirvana but there's plenty to like. As I said though, each to their own.

Last edited:
The Stooges for me. Fun House is the greatest American album and ‘Loose’ is the best individual song.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.