Why Academia is Left-Leaning

In this country, 'left leaning' is regarded as anything to the left of facism. I spent six years, in total, at three universities studying three different courses. They were not 'left leaning'. Yes, you had the SUs that were leftist but the organisation and academics were certainly not.

Outside observers seem to think student unions represent the academic institutions. They do not. So when people hear of an SU kicking up a fuss about some right wing speaker or a boycott of Nestle projects at the student shop on campus, it is not the university administration that objects. University administrations will often relent and side with the SUs. Not a surprise because SUs represents the students.

Academics constitute a but small fraction of academia. The majority of people in academia are students, who are generally younger and ergo less conservative, and the most powerful are the smallest number, i.e. those in managerial positions, and they tend to be more conservative. Rather reflects society…

Academics constitute a but small fraction of academia. The majority of people in academia are students, who are generally younger and ergo less conservative, and the most powerful are the smallest number, i.e. those in managerial positions, and they tend to be more conservative. Rather reflects society…
Agreed, apart from the University of Life graduates.

An interesting video and it is no surprise there is a lack of right leaning academics when the likes of Shapiro cling to the notions of Cultural Marxism and Social Justice Warriors

I have not read much right leaning philosophical thinking and the last book I read by Roger Scrutton "how to be a Conservative" was ideologically barren. A quick look at todays Conservative Party shows really it has retreated into populism and cultural warfare, it has virtually nothing positive to say about the future and as a party they now just exist for powers sake.

I can not prove it is true but I am of thinking that right leaning people now forego academia to work for think tanks where they are allowed more freedom to develop there thinking unopposed. It is probably also worth pointing out that these think tanks are well funded and would I imagine offer greater financial reward than a life in academia

I found (at College and University) that there were two types of academics. Those who told you openly - in one case, 'I'm a Communist' - and those who didn't. For anyone with a modicum of understanding of politics, it's hard to be in a room with someone, week after week, without having a good idea of their political position. Because 9 times out of 10, it's bleeding obvious.

I would say they were a good range overall. Perhaps more 'true' liberals than in the world generally. But what I never found was someone with views like Nigel Farage. I suspect that's because someone with such a barren worldview would never pass the necessary exams to get a Doctorate. But on the other hand, there were certainly people I would describe as 'proper' conservatives, with views about the limitations of state power and with theoretical concerns about personal liberty. And having studied politics, as such, all views were discussed in depth. together with their theoretical underpinnings which, frankly, the overwhelming majority of citizens would never bother reading. The thing is no one ever said 'This philosophy is shit' or 'This philosophy is dead right.' That was left to you to decide. Your essays would be marked down if you did not substantiate your arguments sufficiently, but never for taking a particular position.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.