Why all the moaning

People have completely lost sight of the purpose of an internet forum and there's far too many on here who think that there should be a "one opinion fits all" policy when it comes to MCFC. This is making good posters use the forum less and less. Ultimately the quality will suffer although I suspect that the moral majority will never tire of stamping out contrary opinions.

Blue Tooth said:
Defending a title is historically more difficult than winning the first...plenty of evidence to support that.

Well I put it to you that this fact is one of those myths propogated on Bluemoon to distort the truth and provide a convenient and ready-made excuse

When Man United finally built a team to win the league they went on the next year to win the double. When Chelsea did the same they won it the year after too - by 8 points. And they made steady progress in Europe too. They built on their success and went forwards, not backwards.

Not winning the league this season, if it happens, will be a failure for the club, especially after the embarassment of Europe. It isn't over, of course, but we should not be seven points behind now given the ability at our club, compared to the ability at Man United.

Didsbury Dave said:
Blue Tooth said:
Defending a title is historically more difficult than winning the first...plenty of evidence to support that.

Well I put it to you that this fact is one of those myths propogated on Bluemoon to distort the truth and provide a convenient and ready-made excuse

When Man United finally built a team to win the league they went on the next year to win the double. When Chelsea did the same they won it the year after too - by 8 points. And they made steady progress in Europe too. They built on their success and went forwards, not backwards.

Not winning the league this season, if it happens, will be a failure for the club, especially after the embarassment of Europe. It isn't over, of course, but we should not be seven points behind now given the ability at our club, compared to the ability at Man United.

The only two examples in the premier league era.(We'll be the third ;))
Liverpool in their pomp also managed it and a couple of other teams early on in the days of the first division.
It's far from the norm.

Having the expectation that we SHOULD win the league rather than compete for it just does not sit right with me. Wouldn't Chelsea fans have exactly the same expectation given their pre season spend and the fact that they are Champions of Europe? We can't both get what we want. I agree we should be in the mix but we have no divine right to win it.

For the record I am not 'happy' that we are 7 points adrift, nor do I personally think it truly reflects the relative form of both clubs. Ultimately I am enjoying watching my football at the moment and very happy that we are competing and I would not say no to additions to the squad to increase our chances in Europe, along with a kinder draw perhaps. I have no beef with anyone who see's it differently to me and agree that footballl chat over a beer is no different.

Blue Tooth said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Blue Tooth said:

Liverpool in their pomp also managed it and a couple of other teams early on in the days of the first division.
It's far from the norm.

Having the expectation that we SHOULD win the league rather than compete for it just does not sit right with me. Wouldn't Chelsea fans have exactly the same expectation given their pre season spend and the fact that they are Champions of Europe? We can't both get what we want. I agree we should be in the mix but we have no divine right to win it.

For the record I am not 'happy' that we are 7 points adrift, nor do I personally think it truly reflects the relative form of both clubs. Ultimately I am enjoying watching my football at the moment and very happy that we are competing and I would not say no to additions to the squad to increase our chances in Europe, along with a kinder draw perhaps. I have no beef with anyone who see's it differently to me and agree that footballl chat over a beer is no different.

Fair enough, mate, I understand your take on things, even though they don't represent mine in some areas.

I believe if we don't win the league we have had a failed season and missed a huge opportunity to fulfil what is obviously ADUG's ambition and was Chelsea and United's - to be the dominant club in the country and big players in Europe. But I agree that it isn't over, and the real time to assess the season is May.

mcfc2607 said:
Why does everyone moan so much? We have the best owner in world football, brand new academy facilities being set up which will be the best In England and one of the best in the world and we will be competing for trophies at the highest level at least for the next 20 years. We are not going away.

It's all gravy.

Good post. We're laughing really, whether we win anything this season or not. Its not now or never. We're not going to do an Arsenal and be content to just scrape into the top 4 every year.

Benarbia_is_god said:
Would love to have seen some of the moaners on here during the dreadful Pearce seasons. The sight of Samaras almost tips me over the edge.

God those seasons were dreadful! I think it was the hangover of the keegan era. We'd come straight up, beat the rags at the last Maine road derby and had some thrilling games (spurs in the cup etc) and then slowly but surely the rot and the worry started to return from the bad years!
One can only hope those days don't return.

Didsbury Dave said:
Blue Tooth said:
Didsbury Dave said:

It's far from the norm.

Fair enough, mate, I understand your take on things, even though they don't represent mine in some areas.

I believe if we don't win the league we have had a failed season and missed a huge opportunity to fulfil what is obviously ADUG's ambition and was Chelsea and United's - to be the dominant club in the country and big players in Europe. But I agree that it isn't over, and the real time to assess the season is May.

Ultimately I think the foundations are in place and being continually developed for us to be a serious contender in England and Europe for some time to come. Second place this year would be a blip and nothing more in the overall scheme of things for me.I do understand the opinion that it could be seen as failure, I just don't agree.

Blue Tooth said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Blue Tooth said:

It's far from the norm.

They're only 2 examples out of 5 teams that have won it. Can I ask you a question mate, out of the 5 teams who have won the league, how many of their managers is the summer after winning it went and made their overall squad weaker? Or failed to add any real quality to it.

That's our problem. We were the best team last season but only won it on goal difference. United went out and made up for this by signing the best striker in the league. We were crying out for width and we got Scott Sinclair.

BillyShears said:
People have completely lost sight of the purpose of an internet forum and there's far too many on here who think that there should be a "one opinion fits all" policy when it comes to MCFC. This is making good posters use the forum less and less. Ultimately the quality will suffer although I suspect that the moral majority will never tire of stamping out contrary opinions.

Well said Billy,, when you and the rest of the cabal realise that it isnt just your opinions that matter it will be a much better forum..

;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.