Why are we hated so much?

BringBackSwales

Right through my life, and I am an FOC, I have generally felt that other clubs fans have a soft spot for us (rags excluded), I think due to some extent to our under achievement, partly due to generally being a team that tries to play football, and largely due to the loyalty of our fan base.

This never felt more so than after the qpr game in 2012, where after the match I was literally inundated with text messages from mates and colleagues from different places I’d lived and worked, fans of different teams. The general tone was that people were delighted that we had won the league, how we’d won it and who we won it over. Also there was a genuine appreciation of the fact they all knew I was a loyal fan of a likeable club, someone who had followed them home and away for decades, many of those decades empty of success and full of under achievement. I didn’t get the sense that anyone begrudged us our success.

Roll forward 10 and a half years and the feeling towards us is so different. Every premier league we have won has had the rags or dippers as runners up, teams that I reckon are generally disliked by all apart from their own (admittedly huge) fan bases. I would have thought that this would have enhanced our popularity, particularly when you think we have brought the likes of Kompany, Zaba, KDB, Yaya, Sergio, the Silvas, Haaland etc etc etc to the league, and all for fantastic prices. The Mancini, Pellegreni and Pep teams have all played beautiful football, and I am sure I’m not biased in saying that.

So why the fuck are we so widely unpopular, what have we done wrong?

Have we become horrible fans? I don’t think so. I get it that we aren’t as passionate as we once were, not alone in that. But I think we still have a fair bit of our typical City humour, and a large proportion of our fan base is still traditional.

Is it just plain jealousy? I think that may be part of it, but it wasn’t evident in the emotions expressed to me in 2012, so would winning another 5 premier league titles in 10 years cause that? Not sure it would.

Is it how our football club conducts itself? Well, our owners have invested millions in the area, have generally been low key and polite, we have CITC which remains best in class, we always treat people with respect and decency as far as I can see.

So I can only think it’s 10 years of constant digs at us, from all of the newspapers, from Sky, BBC (tv, radio and online), BT, Talk Shite etc. Why they do this is beyond me but can only because we are not united or liverpool, maybe also because we are Arab owned not USA owned. But I think 10 years of their snide and negative comments, aided by awful treatment from the premier league and uefa, has eaten into the consciousness of the general footballing public.

Since Monday I don’t think, in fact I know, that our football club has never been more alone. No one likes us, but I can’t say I don’t care, because I don’t really know why, and I know it isn’t deserved.

We are only just into an even longer and more sustained period of City bashing than we have ever known, the refs and VAR will feel even more at liberty to shaft us on the pitch, so let’s do one thing as CITY FANS, let’s get right behind our club and our players, for as long as it takes, win or lose, get behind the players and the management. I have ALWAYS been proud to be a Blue, and remain so as much today as the day I was born into a Blue family.

CITY TIL WE DIE

We are unpopular with lots but not all clubs due to the anti city bollocks driven incessantly by the media. Throw enough mud and some will stick. Millwall have a racist twat thuggish fanbase who are disliked by most right minded people.
Maybe not the right comparison pal, as they are a vile club, but that’s kind of my point, the utter shit that has Bern thrown at our club has had a huge effect. I haven’t heard much sympathy expressed towards us from many neutral fans. Maybe I should change the thread title

A lot of the original popularity was based on the fact we'd won nowt for ages. There are still those who prize the idea of artistic football over the shite that is peddled in the RDAHMeedya and they know what the fuckin' score is with the PL, PiGMOL VAR and their ilk, and what drives those canutes, so we are still regarded by what I think are the better end of football supporters. There's far more fans who wouldn't dream of trashing our coach, hacking into our computer systems, or throwing all kinds of shite from one of the stands onto our fans below.

I don't get the framing of this thread. You could have said "are we the most hated club in the country?", but instead picked out a club by name as a benchmark for inviting everyone to sling mud at that club. Millwall aren't even the most hated club in the country and we haven't played them for more than 20 years, so I don't understand why you'd single them out at a time when our club is being singled out.

EDIT: The thread initially carried the title "Are we hated more than Millwall?"

Won the football lottery.

Took on merit champions league places and then became champions.

Bought players from clubs who could not compete with us anymore. Pep pushed us to new levels.

Grew the business commercially using astute business tactics that left competitors reeling in our wake.

Had a ton of money to take the financial hit without needing a return.

But mainly because the cartel clubs weaponised their media against City. The undercurrent was always race.

Minions bought into it and the feelings that a dodgy Arab must be wrong and evil. The nazi propaganda machine would be proud of the British media’s xenophobic actions.

Last edited:
I don't get the framing of this thread. You could have said "are we the most hated club in the country?", but instead picked out a club by name as a benchmark for inviting everyone to sling mud at that club. Millwall aren't even the most hated club in the country and we haven't played them for more than 20 years, so I don't understand why you'd single them out at a time when our club is being singled out.

EDIT: The thread initially carried the title "Are we hated more than Millwall?"
Poor choice of original thread title on my behalf, but I still genuinely don’t get the hatred

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.