Why are you a City fan?

When I was at primary school I had a soft spot for Everton (don't know why) until the 'most popular boy' said he supported city. Well, just like a sheep, I decided to support city to be mates with him. Sad really.

Well, I'll have served 35 years in January, which is quite weird. My Dad took me to my first game when I was 8, which was the FA Cup tie against Norwich City on the way to the 1981 final, that we won 6-0 (and I got Joe Corrigan's autograph).

My Dad's decision to support City was an interesting one. He was born in Venezuela to a Scottish father and Londoner mother in the early 1930s. His parents moved back to the UK in 1940 and after living in various places (South Wales, Ayrshire, Cumbria), he completed his National Service in the early 1950s, and then settled in Chorlton because of work.

He had no specific allegiance at that time, so he used to go to City one week and the rags the next - he tells me that this was quite common then, but I'm not sure I've ever believed him! But he became committed to the Blue cause after going to the Trautmann Cup Final, and he never looked to the red side again.

I didn't go with him all that often in the early 1980s; he had a season ticket in the seats behind one of the goals with two of his mates, and I took one of the tickets if one of them couldn't make it, which wasn't very often. But in the mid-80s, he let his season ticket lapse, and then when he did decide to go to games, he usually took me, and we stood together in the Kippax. So most of my games were that thrilling period in the second half of the 1980s!! I moved away to University in 1990, and have never moved back to the North West, though my parents still live there and I have always tried to get to a few games a year.

Born in Crumpsall, but, grew up in Ordsall and when I first went to school everyone else supported that lot - so l followed along, got home and told my Mam who, then, in no uncertain terms put me right! Her husband at the time (not my dad) who was a right twat was also a City fan and he took me to my first game - Newcastle at home 1975 - 5 - 1 and the rest is history. My real dad, who's a twat too, is a rag fucker - so I am a Blue because of my Mam

Group of City Fans started coming in my supporters club in Edinburgh (Hearts) for odd games, got chatting and a few of us ended up arranging to pay a visit, was away too Barnsley in 1988, got beat 3-1 but from then I came down once a month too Maine Rd, first Derby was the 5-1 and was there when we got relegated from Liverpool.. The rest as they say is History.. Now make most Home and Aways from my Scottish Base...

Pretty common story from City fans in the US who have been a fan for awhile -- oasis are my all time favorite band and I immediately was hooked back in 1994 when my brother introduced them to me. I've been using this name online for 11+ years now since I wanted an oasis reference and they'd just played A Bell Will Ring and Meaning of Soul at some warmup gigs. I'd watch a lot of soccer when I'd visit my parents (they had Fox Soccer Channel which I did not have up at college) and just decided I should have a team so I went with the natural progression back in the mid 2000s.
Almost same reason for me.went to maine Rd for oasis gig.wanted tosee game there.rest history as they say.took a lot of shit from rag mates.funny moat of them don't talk football these days.

Born in Surrey, grew up in Cheshire, Dad’s from Oxford and my Mum’s from Kent. My best friend at primary school supported City (although he switched to Liverpool) but there was something about the kit, the colours and the badge that hooked me. My parents had no obvious interest in football but when I became fanatical about City it turned out that they’d been the family club on my Dad’s since our Hyde Road days. My grandad who died long before I was born was from Whalley Range and the rest from Ardwick, but I had no idea of this when I was five.

Group of City Fans started coming in my supporters club in Edinburgh (Hearts) for odd games, got chatting and a few of us ended up arranging to pay a visit, was away too Barnsley in 1988, got beat 3-1 but from then I came down once a month too Maine Rd, first Derby was the 5-1 and was there when we got relegated from Liverpool.. The rest as they say is History.. Now make most Home and Aways from my Scottish Base...
i remember seeing you at the barnsley game.you were wearing hearts coats/tops and stood at the back of the terracing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.