Why avatar's disabled?

Sorry to dig up an old topic (the search button is our friend an all that) but I was wondering about the BM view on smilies. I understand the nice clean look and feel to the forum, and agree, but if there were 4 or 5 small basic smilies available I reckon it would stop some of the misplaced tension that sometimes arises between posters.

Text gets misread because of the lack of visible emotion and people take offense sometimes because what was meant to be a joke or a harmless comment is seen as a criticsm or slagging off. Im not suggesting a massive irony alert banner or anything but if the usual :) :( :'( :lol: :angry: were selectable by everyone it would be clearer when people post. Not everyone understands the shorthand :) :( :'( :lol: :angry: or knows how to insert smilies from webspace, so a small number of smilies available through the posting screen could be a good thing?

Its something Ive noticed now and again and in theory is easily solvable so thought I'd mention it.

Ignore me if this has been done to death
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Ric's currently on holiday for a few days, so I'll try to give you what I remember about his views as it's something I've spoken to him about in the past. He'll correct me if I've misread him. :)

Avatars and smilies tend to clutter up the board, and smilies in particular, get massively overused by some people. The simple :( :) ;) should be enough for people to deduce the meaning of a post along with the content.
Smilies also make posters a bit lazy, as it's far easier to post :rolleyes: than to actually discuss the point.

Above all of this, smilies also look a bit naff.

Avatars don't clutter up the board, sigs do. It seems the youtube function is now disabled (see below).

It's 2009.

[edited because I was mean, sorry!]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.