Why is everyone obsessed with managerial stability?

Because:

a) If a manager feels secure in his job he has much more freedom to try things and express himself, instead of playing it safe. For example, Hughes was always looking over his shoulder knowing that he wasn't the choice of the owners, consequently he bought a load of players he knew and trusted or though were safe bets for performing immediately - his top priority. We're still struggling to get rid of some of them. Mancini also, i'd love to see him feel that he has the leeway maybe top introduce some more younger players, give them gametime, but the fact is he doesn't.

b) If you get a reputation of sacking managers on a whim (eg Abramovich) eventually you'll start to struggle to attract your preferred targets, depending on who the targets are. For example Chelsea i'm pretty sure want Guardiola, but does he want to work with Abramovich? I doubt it. Obviously some managers don't mind getting a big contract then quickly followed by a big pay-off.

c) When a manager arrives, he wants his own players, own style of play, own backroom staff, he wants the facilities to be to his liking etc all of this takes time, costs lots of money and results in general upheaval

d) It´s bad for finacial fair play, not apart from the costs of hiring and sacking, bringing in players, staff etc, it seems to me the general plan now, is to try and create some sort of footballing identity that will be taught to younger players so that the team will play the same way all through their youth development, making intergration much easier into the first team squad. If we want to keep replacing managers, pretty soon we'll ruyn out of reasonable candidates who want to play the game the way the folk who run the club want us to play it.

e) It's generally bad for our image, something which already isn't great, We want new sponsors, new fans etc, having a board which seems primarily concerned with short-termism isn't a good image for us

f) we now look to be going down the route of having a technical director and a manager, for that set-up to be successful, a good relationship between the manager and technical director is absolutely essential to making the system run smoothly to the long-term benefit of the club, keeping chopping and changing the manager makes the whole set-up a lot more fractuious and makes the development of that relationship difficult.

....however, to reap the benefits of stability, you obviously need to have the right man in the first place, whether Mancini is the best guy with a view to the long-term future of the club, i'm a little unconvinced. But i don't know how much of that is down to the constant threat of the sack and his obviously previous conflicting interests with Marwood.

Ultimately if you have the right man, i think it definitely pays to stick with him even through rocky patches or a relatively unsuccessful season or 2, but the big if, is if you have the right man.

pee dubya said:
Because:

a) If a manager feels secure in his job he has much more freedom to try things and express himself, instead of playing it safe. For example, Hughes was always looking over his shoulder knowing that he wasn't the choice of the owners, consequently he bought a load of players he knew and trusted or though were safe bets for performing immediately - his top priority. We're still struggling to get rid of some of them. Mancini also, i'd love to see him feel that he has the leeway maybe top introduce some more younger players, give them gametime, but the fact is he doesn't.

b) If you get a reputation of sacking managers on a whim (eg Abramovich) eventually you'll start to struggle to attract your preferred targets, depending on who the targets are. For example Chelsea i'm pretty sure want Guardiola, but does he want to work with Abramovich? I doubt it. Obviously some managers don't mind getting a big contract then quickly followed by a big pay-off.

c) When a manager arrives, he wants his own players, own style of play, own backroom staff, he wants the facilities to be to his liking etc all of this takes time, costs lots of money and results in general upheaval

d) It´s bad for finacial fair play, not apart from the costs of hiring and sacking, bringing in players, staff etc, it seems to me the general plan now, is to try and create some sort of footballing identity that will be taught to younger players so that the team will play the same way all through their youth development, making intergration much easier into the first team squad. If we want to keep replacing managers, pretty soon we'll ruyn out of reasonable candidates who want to play the game the way the folk who run the club want us to play it.

e) It's generally bad for our image, something which already isn't great, We want new sponsors, new fans etc, having a board which seems primarily concerned with short-termism isn't a good image for us

f) we now look to be going down the route of having a technical director and a manager, for that set-up to be successful, a good relationship between the manager and technical director is absolutely essential to making the system run smoothly to the long-term benefit of the club, keeping chopping and changing the manager makes the whole set-up a lot more fractuious and makes the development of that relationship difficult.

....however, to reap the benefits of stability, you obviously need to have the right man in the first place, whether Mancini is the best guy with a view to the long-term future of the club, i'm a little unconvinced. But i don't know how much of that is down to the constant threat of the sack and his obviously previous conflicting interests with Marwood.

Ultimately if you have the right man, i think it definitely pays to stick with him even through rocky patches or a relatively unsuccessful season or 2, but the big if, is if you have the right man.

Good point, if we are being honest here those who are arguing against stability don't think Mancini is doing a good enough job while those for it believe we should stick with him at this time, as stated earlier it's a Mancini in/out thread in all but name

Skashion said:
The two most successful footballing dynasties in England have been built on managerial stability. Whereas our 35 years of winning feck all was built on managerial instability... Might have something to do with it.

For me, football is a very simple game, buy the best players either through the transfer market or a youth system ( where presumably you pay the parents top dollar for their sons ) and you will have a top side. I think most of us could put together a side to challenge for the title given enough resources. A really good manager though gets those players to play as a team. This seems to be achieved two ways a) the players actually like the manager and try their very best for him or b) they know he is the boss and basically toe the line. i.e. discipline and respect.
I think any long serving manager with security of tenure gets that discipline and respect. I hope Mancini gets there but the continuing soap opera with Balotelli must weaken his standing in the dressing room. I thought he handled the Tevez debacle brilliantly though.

I want stability, but only when the right man is in place! We will know when that happens. Not there yet.

Fair points made by pee dubya and Simon23, however if anyone thinks that stability is the be all and end all then they are sadly mistaken.

As you have pointed out stability can have its strengths however it does also have its negatives like when you rely heavily on a manager you are going to struggle when he leaves which ever way you look at it.

Also it may be because I presume we are trying to follow the Barca model with us building the academy and bringing the lads from Barca in and if this is the case why does everyone presume that a new manager means complete overhaul of the squad? Yes a new manager will want certain players but a new manager can also offer a new perspective to the current squad.

I'm just pointing out that we do have stability which ever way you look at it with the board room staff and I can totally see why people are all for stability however there are other ways.

And the people who keep referring to Chelsea, I clearly said we would be mad to follow the Chelsea model but giving managers 2 year contracts then assessing them from there is not a stupid idea. Give a manager 2 years, do not sack him and if he is going in the right direction keep him if not don't offer him a new contract. There is nothing wrong with that at all and most importantly we would not be sacking managers therefore not losing any money.

Finally I didn't mean for this to be a Mancini out, Mourinho in thread I just used them as an example to get my point across. My views would be the same regardless of who the manager is and for the record it would be mad to sack Mancini now. However football is fickle at the best of times it was only a few years ago everyone was chanting for Mark Hughes and now he is a shite manager so a bit of perspective please before dismissing the whole view.

city91 said:
Now WTF is stability? it means absolute nothing without success. Yes Mancini has been very successful for us so far an IMO the minimum he deserves is the rest of the season with us and then take it from there. However the thing that I think will cost Mancini his job is not the fact we may not win a trophy but the fact that our performances have been awful compared to last year. We play slow boring football and are starting to get found out especially in Europe. We honestly seem to have gone backwards since last year and all this talk not building on the team in the summer is nonsense. Bobby should be getting a lot more from our team and everyone knows it.

You've sort of answered your own question here, bud. Yes performances may be down compared with last season, but that happens everywhere. The very fact they were so good last season is proof that Mancini can produce good performances.

Real Madrid have been performing terrible by their standards this season, but you wouldn't say "Mourinho has taken Real as far as he can" because we know he is capable of winning the Champions League, as are his team. Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't.

I happen to be one of the people on this forum who talk a lot about stability and am a big fan of it, but you seem to have missed my point if you've read any of my posts. Sure managers should be sacked if they're under-performing, but Football success can only really be judged properly over a long term time scale. For instance, if you sacked your manager every time one season was worse than the last, then it doesn't matter who you had, you would always be sacking them sooner rather than later because it's next to impossible to improve every season non-stop. By this standard you'd have sacked Ferguson last season if you were the United CEO. We all know that's not logical at all.

Also Wenger is a bad example as he's a victim of his own stubbornness. That being that he won't open his wallet to compete. And Moyes doesn't have the infrastructure to be able to do anything with his stability. However it's plain and simple to see that given the players he's got, Everton are punching very much so above their weight. That can be put down to managerial stability, and a philosophy about football that is now ingrained into the club and the players. Everyone is singing from the same song sheet.

Stability doesn't come after one season, not even two.

As for Mancini's European credentials. So sick of hearing about this. He's proved he can get out of the group stages before, so to think that "we'll never progress in the competition with him at the helm" is sheer lunacy. With the seeding system being as it is, the competition is fundamentally unfair from the get go. Teams looking to break through need to bide their time. Ours will come, and I'm confident Roberto knows what he's doing. We've also been unlucky two seasons running with the group now.

Hi all, I'm a newbie on here but have followed the forums for a while now, so thought it's about time to join in. Sorry if the username is a touch odd ( main stand h center row e seat 750 ), is where I had my season ticket at Main Road, when we moved to the coms row and seat were the same but in cb level 3 block 326. Went to my first game in 82 v spurs, had a season ticket for 15 years until 7 years ago, and still go with my eldest girl when I can. My city claim to fame is that Glyn Pardoe is my godfather, and used to bring me signed books or posters every christmas, while he was on the coaching staff. Roberto is really in a no win situation, he wins us trophies his job is under threat, a few bad performances his job is under threat, but he just gets on with it to his credit. My view is that he shouldn't be shown the door, because he really is a winner and has transformed the mentality of the club, europe will come in time and domestically we will be fine. I just hope the chairman and board see it that way.

Both pee Dubya, and the OP city 91 have some great points:-

Stability for stability's sake is not the right thing to do, but just the same nor is change for the sake of change.If you have the right Manager, then keeping him is the right thing to do, even if there is a season that you don't win anything.
If the manager is to do a good job he needs to know that the knives are not being sharpened behind the scenes. A long contract is probably the right answer as it may also let the manager get too comfortable about his job (also costs a fortune to pay off an over inflated contract).
With the fair play rules coming over the horizon, the long term stability is going to be provided by both the academy and the ability of club scouts to find reasonably priced great players.
There has been a downturn in our performances this year, and it is hard to pinpoint exactly why that is, is it down to the managers insistence on using new tactics, or is it that these new tactics will reap many benefits as soon as our players will get used to them, I remember my own and other fans problems with the zonal marking system, yet we were proved wrong last year. .
For me, let's give it some time and not turn into Chelsea or the city of the swales era again.

Utd's stability without doubt stems from baconface's long reign and his ability to form working relationships with players and staff alike at the swamp- but the price they will have to pay for that stability will be very high,- it will be like having a major organ removed with no idea if the patient can survive . Chelsea , on the other hand, whilst changing manager every year, have had a huge degree of stability on the pitch- Check , Terry , Lampard & until recently Drogba have provided a consistent and strong spine which culminated in CL success( and indeed more trophies than Utd) !
Our instability as I see it is our manager! On Sunday everyone and his dog knew Tevez should have started , just as is so many games this season when his rotation has left us all scratching our heads. If we're confused , how do you think the players feel- not knowing what the line up will be or not knowing what system they will be asked to play
With the Barca boys in the boardroom and continued backing from the Sheikh I think the idea of a dynastic manager will become irrelevant

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.