Why this season are we playing so slowly

Dortmund always attack so surely we should have expected the sort of game it became. I expected us to outscore them with the forwards we had. It turned out differently. I'd go back to playing one man up front with fast breaking midfielders ( if we have any ). We certainly need to shore the back up. We also need to work a damn sight harder.

We are definately slower getting the ball forward. I get so frustrated watching 5 yard passes when there are better options to pass forward.

The fact that we did not buy the quality winger that the team is crying out for is costing us. Teams have seen us play all last season and know who to pick up - therefore we have less space and time. We are reliant on our fullbacks to much to give us the width whichis why we are conceding more - Kompany and whoever getting a bad deal with little support at times.

This all stems from a bad transfer window - we should have kicked on and we stayed still and you could argue with dejong leaving we went backwards

mancity1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Marvin said:
Game there for the taking?

Very strange way of looking at it

It was 50/50 and we created more chances in that game, and conceded more than I have seen at home all season. I think you really underestimate Dortmund. Maybe if they were called Bayern Munich it would be different
what I mean by that is that when we got
Silva on the ball in the first half they couldn't live with us and we created chances. If we could have got control of the midfield it was a game we could have won. The Garcia injury reduced mancini's options, granted.

Couldn't live with us?

Silva did some nice things but there was no end product.

Our four chances in the first half , were a long ball to Dzeko which he fluffed.

Aguerro one on one created with his pace on his own.

a long range effort from the same which most keepers would have tipped over the bar.

Silva's strange attempt to scissor kick when a head would have buried the ball or ay least got it on target.

As for Dortmund how they didn't bury three of those 5 clear chances was down to Hart and good fortune.

They lived with us very comfortably in the first half.

They weren't comfortable with us when we got at them and that's why we created chances. Silva was the main outlet and Aguero's pace was a problem to them. Silva was electric. I'm not saying we dominated - that;s the point youre missing. When we did win the ball and got at them we created chances. And that stems from central midfield who couldn't get control.

My point is that is we could have controlled midfield we could have won the game. Obviously that's a point that holds true for any game. But in this one we had the wrong personnel and the wrong system to do that in central midfield. Yet again, we sacrificed Yaya to shoehorn Nasri in, and Nasri proved what a waste of space he is.

onceabluealways said:
We are definately slower getting the ball forward. I get so frustrated watching 5 yard passes when there are better options to pass forward.

The fact that we did not buy the quality winger that the team is crying out for is costing us. Teams have seen us play all last season and know who to pick up - therefore we have less space and time. We are reliant on our fullbacks to much to give us the width whichis why we are conceding more - Kompany and whoever getting a bad deal with little support at times.

This all stems from a bad transfer window - we should have kicked on and we stayed still and you could argue with dejong leaving we went backwards
Correct about the summer transfers. Others around us have improved, all we seem to have done on the evidence I've seen, is to off load big earners (which we needed to) and bring in players who up until know have not shown the ability to take us to the next step.
Being honest, the players who we signed, why was no one else interested in them.

I've said it since the start of the season, We miss Barry (a fully fit Barry) enormously as his play is subtle but he passes the ball extremely quickly and with pace and this gives the midfield an increased tempo.

Didsbury Dave said:
mancity1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
what I mean by that is that when we got
Silva on the ball in the first half they couldn't live with us and we created chances. If we could have got control of the midfield it was a game we could have won. The Garcia injury reduced mancini's options, granted.

Couldn't live with us?

Silva did some nice things but there was no end product.

Our four chances in the first half , were a long ball to Dzeko which he fluffed.

Aguerro one on one created with his pace on his own.

a long range effort from the same which most keepers would have tipped over the bar.

Silva's strange attempt to scissor kick when a head would have buried the ball or ay least got it on target.

As for Dortmund how they didn't bury three of those 5 clear chances was down to Hart and good fortune.

They lived with us very comfortably in the first half.

They weren't comfortable with us when we got at them and that's why we created chances. Silva was the main outlet and Aguero's pace was a problem to them. Silva was electric. I'm not saying we dominated - that;s the point youre missing. When we did win the ball and got at them we created chances. And that stems from central midfield who couldn't get control.

My point is that is we could have controlled midfield we could have won the game. Obviously that's a point that holds true for any game. But in this one we had the wrong personnel and the wrong system to do that in central midfield. Yet again, we sacrificed Yaya to shoehorn Nasri in, and Nasri proved what a waste of space he is.

Fair enough I thought that the expression couldn't living with us translated to us playing them off the park.

We had the majority of possession but by and large it was in areas that didn't concern them.

Our ability to hunt in packs when we don't have it and get posesssion and movement up the field quickly which was the driving force in our momentum in the premiership last season is not the same this season.

By and large Dortmund's passing both in the air to the penalty area and along the ground left ours for dead last night.

Nasri is hot and cold and I agree with many others that playing him and Silva in the same side leaves us very vunerable if we don't have defensive midfielders who can tackle well and pass quickly and accurately.

We miss NDJ. If he went because he wouldn't agree to a reasonable contract then fair enough but if he went for footballing reasons then I think we effed up big time.

My fear with Garcia or Rodwell was that they wouldn't be tigerish enough or accurate passers. It seems that is the case. Maybe they offer more than NDJ in set piece scenarios but in the middle of the field they are poor substitutes for a monster like Nigel.

I'd play Zabba as our DM as soon as we can get a fit RB.

I have hope for Rodwell in a DM role. But i fell sorry for Garcia. He's never going to have the energy for DM or CB. Unless he can learn to read the game better he'll surely be gone relatively soon.

The players can only do their best but its Mancini ultimately who is responsible for the atrocious play. We must have set a record for passes in our own half last night. I'd have thrown Pantilemon up front (James style) and booted it up to him. It would have been less ridiculous than thinking we'd somehow expose Dortmund by passing about in our own half.

Mancini is the embodiment of the old Typical City. He's great but he's shit. In a strange way it's like putting on an old pair of slippers, us talking about how shit our manager and team are. Happier now than a few years back though :-) we'll come good again.

CTID!

Mattyc55 said:
Some people will point to the defence, but you defend as a unit and our central midfield is absolutely all over the place at the minute. Yaya and Garcia is a complete mess as neither play the defensive game at a high enough intensity/speed.

Yep, I agree, it is fkn frightening to see. We do look too slow more often than not.

Tony101 said:
I would say only United has worse central midfield than City of the top teams and thats where this teams weakness is. Before everyone jumps up, yaya toure is not someone I count as central midfield. Rodwell, Garcia, Barry are not great

You are talking hamster droppings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.