Why you supported our wonderful club

Been a City fan all my life. Ever since the late 1960s, winning the League, FA Cup and League Cup under the management of Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison despite losing the 1981 FA Cup Final, the club went through a period of decline, culminating in relegation to the third tier of English football.

Great times. #WalesOut, FeelTheGoat, Shaun White Phillips and all that.

Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Come on you Cityzens!!

My Dad, lived to see the first Premier League win, sadly nothing after

I grew up in Burnage and although 2 elder brothers went to City on occasions it was my friends who were the biggest influence. For a good while I was only allowed to go if one of my Brothers was with us but the first time I was allowed to go with just my mates was the ballet on ice.

The strange thing is I never knew (or remembered) the Spurs game had that nickname until I started lurking on Bluemoon. My memory of it was being has happy as fuck for gaining my ‘independence’. Arriving an hour before kick off and leaning on the wall in the kippax freezing my little bollocks off. Oh and dare I say being in awe of Jimmy Greaves who was wearing shorts about 4 inches longer than anybody else.

Over the years so many games have just faded into each other but that one will live with me forever.

My Dad and both Granddads supported City so it was sort of hereditary. Also must mention a lovely chap called Bill Lineker, who was like a sort of uncle to me, who was mad on City. Any road, first time my Dad took me on the Kippax that was it. There was something about the place, whether it was the stadium, the team or the people, that I just loved. Actually if it was the team, it wasn't because they were good, because they were absolute dogshite, but I somehow liked the Cliff Sears, The Dave Bacuzzis and Matt Grays of this world far more than the more "famous" blokes across town. To say nothing of the legend that was Vic Gomersall.

My Auntie married David Cross, so In the '82/83 season My dad and I went to most of the home games that year, some of them for free. He made 31 appearances and scored 12 goals.

Back in the 80s, I had a theory that footballers didn't have beards. Moustaches, yes - but not beards.

So I counted all the beards on MOTD and the only player to break my theory was David Cross.

Yes, I do need to get out more.

We lived on Thornton Road until just after I was born, so I guess you could say it was in the blood. We then moved to Withington, both my Dad and his brother were City fans but not regular match goers but as soon as I started taking an interest in football (mid 60's) Maine Road was the only place they'd have taken me.

I had no choice. My Dad (rest his soul) was a bonkers Blue. My elder brothers and cousins were all blues.

Unit#d (to this day I can't say it) was literally a swear word in our household.

The first thing my dad asked my sister's boyfriend's when they came to the house was " which football team do you support?" Obviously if they ever said the rags they were never seen around the house again.

Mainly it's because all my brothers and sisters grew up in Beswick formally known as Bradford and you simply didn't get many rags in that part of town in the late 60s

Also first time I went to Maine Road in 1977 it blew my socks off. Just wish my dad could see how far we've come.

I had no choice. My Dad (rest his soul) was a bonkers Blue. My elder brothers and cousins were all blues.

Unit#d (to this day I can't say it) were literally a swear word in our household.

The first thing my dad asked my sister's boyfriend's when they came to the house was " which football team do you support?" Obviously if they ever said the rags they were never seen around the house again.

Mainly it's because all my brothers and sisters grew up in Beswick formally known as Bradford and you simply didn't get many rags in that part of town in the late 60s

Also first time I went to Maine Road in 1977 it blew my socks off. Just wish my dad could see how far we've come.

My dad banned red icepops in our house.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.